PDA

View Full Version : My second pen attempt

Matt Ranum
01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
So I finished my second attempt at a slimline pen yesterday. But I have a question about my CA finish for you experts. When I had the blanks done and sanded through 600 grit I put on some Watco Teak finish I had then buffed dry with a rag then put on a heavy coat at slow speed of Gorilla super glue and proceeded the get the surface all cloudy and rough. So I lightly sanded that down with 600 again then put on a lighter coat at roughly 1000rpm. I did not keep pressure on it till dry I just put it on smooth then just let the lathe run till it was dry. The finish has somewhat of a grainy texture. Its not unpleasant and actually looks decent with a fair amount of grip to it. Question is what should I do differently to get more of a glass smooth high gloss finish? I debated about buffing but decided against it for this time anyway.

Critiques are welcome.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/2010_01300006.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/2010_01300004.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/2010_01300005.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mr_matt3764/2010_01300001.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Good looking pen Matt! Curly Maple?

I'm not a pen turner but I seem to remember there are a few tutorials out there on how to apply a CA finish. I am sure someone will be along shortly with that info for you.

Nice pen!

Scott Conners
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
It looks like you need a thicker coat of finish to me. More coats of CA, then polished with micromesh or buffed.

John Terefenko
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I am no expert but for 2¢ I will give you my opinion. First let me say congrads on the pen. I like that you did not make any bulbous designs that make the pen look pregnant. :) I like the straight clean lines.

Now to your technique. There are many ways to apply a CA finish. Some use straight CA which I do and some like to mix with blo to help the smoothing process. If I use any kind of oil to pop the grain I like to make sure it has dried and cured before putting the CA top coats on. This is usually overnight to get a good dry surface. Next not all CA glues are the same and I am not sure about the one you are using. Is it a thin CA, a med CA or a thick CA?? I like to use a thin CA which means more coats but that is fine because they go on so easy. I use the CA you get from these pen companies. Again not sure about the glue you are using. It may be just for construction use like titebond CA is. Doesn't make a good finish top coat.

But with that said you say you got a rough feel to the finish so I am asuuming this is ridges.??? If it is a pebbly feel then you probably did not wipe the blank down before applying and picked up sanding dust. I always wipe a pen blank down with denatured alcohol before applying my finish. Always use high quality towels too. I like the blue shop towels you get in walmart auto section. I happen to use these towels to apply the CA also but on my final coat I use the little plastic bags those pen kits come in. I wipe quickly in a side to side motion and only a couple swipes. The more you play with it the more chances for swirls. Then sometimes I go through the micromesh steps after letting the CA to cure overnight and this is inportant because if you don't you can get those cloudy looks on the blank. I am going to be trying something new when I get the parts and instead of micromeshing I am going right to buffing. Will have to see how that works out. Anyway after micromesh I usually put on a coat of plastic polish and a good coat of REN wax to protect against finger prints.

Not sure if any of this helps but I do suggest coming over to the IAP penturners forum. There you will get all the right answers to any of your pen making problems because we all have seen it done it and lived it. Good luck and thanks for showing the pen.

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
That is a good looking pen. John pretty much summed it up. Good advice.

John Keeton
01-30-2010, 1:03 PM
Matt, the pen looks nice! I am not much into pens, but I certainly like the curly maple!!

Could your texture have come from raised grain? Hard to tell from the pics, but it almost looks like that. I have never used a glue finish on anything, so I know nothing about it. But, it would seem that if the texture is consistent over the surface, it is grain. If it is spotty, perhaps contaminated with dust. Just my thoughts.

Roger Bullock
01-30-2010, 3:56 PM
Not saying it is the best way or the worst way just the way I do it. ;)

Once blanks are sanded, I apply a medium CA with one of those little bags the parts come in, back and forth motion to even out the coat. Lathe speed set on slow. Hit it with accelerator lightly to set CA. Repeat above. Sand with 600 until smooth. Evaluate. If the wood I'm working with needs an additional coat of CA, then I will add it, if grain or voids in wood call for additional filling, again added another CA coat.

Once satisfied with thickness and such then I move on to finishing steps. Hit it with 2 to 3 coats of EEE followed by 2 to 3 coats of Shellawax cream. Buffed on the lathe with soft clean shop towels.

David E Keller
01-30-2010, 4:27 PM
Nice work.

I use straight medium thin CA from Arizona Silhouette(No affiliation). After sanding to 600, I apply thin coats with a clean paper towel until I get the desired build up. I usually slow the speed down to 500 or less. I used to use the plastic bags from the kits, but I found that I left ridges in the finish using them... Not to say it can't be done, but I didn't have much luck.

I usually put at least 3 or 4 coats of CA on before finishing(some woods require more). Sometimes I'll wet sand or wet MM, and other times, I go straight to the buffing wheel. I usually apply a little Renaissance wax after buffing to add a little protection.

I haven't tried the BLO prior to the CA, but I'll likely do so when the weather warms.

good luck

Matt Ranum
01-30-2010, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! The glue I believe is a medium viscosity, its not thin and not as thick as others I've seen. The texture is even across the entire surface and I'm reasonably sure it isn't from raised grain, more from the process with the glue. This maybe why, I did not use paper towel but instead a clean white cotton rag. Never thinking about any possible residue from the material. Live and learn.

Sid Matheny
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I have had great results using Bill Young's BLO/CA finish in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc&feature=channel_page

Sid