PDA

View Full Version : Idea for an "elegant" portrait?

Steve Clarkson
01-30-2010, 8:59 AM
I have someone that asked me to engrave a photo.......but his exact words were that he wanted "something elegant that I would be proud to display in my home......not something that looks like you got it at the state fair".........

All I could think of off the top of my head was black marble.......or maybe a piece of white acrylic......probably no LED's.......

Anyone have any "elegant" ideas for a photo?

Darren Null
01-30-2010, 9:03 AM
Black marble- colourfill yourself an antiqued gold frame in the black marble and then reburn the marble with the portrait in the middle of your frame. Did it with car paint & it looked rather posh. No photos alas; I was 'between cameras'.
EDIT: Alternately, how about burning the portrait through a light-coloured veneer and sticking it to a dark wood?

Martin Boekers
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Maybe a beveled oval piece of marble?

I have seen some really nice work in corian with a fill.

I think alot depends upon they area it will be displayed in.
The way a product is finished (framed, mounted etc) has much to do with the perception.

The photo has to lend itself towards those directions also.
How you prep the file can give the "state fair" look.
Think of removing all the background and have a "floating head"
as opposed to a nicely shot portrait in an environmental setting.

One can be plain and the other dramatic.

Much of your success will lay in the quality of the image you have to work with.

You have to post your results!

Marty

Stephen Kane
01-31-2010, 6:31 AM
Slate is my solution ref attached

Jim Coffee
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Good morning Steve...

I read your post and the replies last night and then slept on them. "Elegant Portrait" stuck with me. I kept rolling it around in my brain. With no intention of offending anyone...'elegant portrait' and 'laser engraved' portrait are an oxymoron. Not saying it cannot be done...just suggesting that perhaps it's time for a bit of out of the box thinking.

Among other things I am a photographer...so a portrait to me is a bit different than it might be to others...and I wasn't party to the conversation between you and your customer...so my following comments my be worth nothing.

1). Consider an actual photograph as the portrait vehicle. Use your laser engraver to create an awesome multi layered frame.

2). Instead of engraving the portrait directly, engrave a 'plate'. Ink the plate (perhaps with several different shades of color) and 'stamp' a piece of paper with it.

3). Consider converting the image to grayscale and attempting to engrave subtle 3D.

I'm sure that we all would be interested in seeing your final creation.

With best regards,

Dee Gallo
01-31-2010, 1:00 PM
Hi Steve,

I believe the word "elegant" means different things to each person. If I had this customer, I would open up a magazine or book and ask the customer to show me what he thinks is elegant. And, what he thinks is awful. That way, you will be on the same page to start the project. Let the customer become invested in the outcome.

Next, I believe the laser is simply a tool, which can produce great work or crap depending on the layout, material, skill of operator and restraints of the job. Your job is to find the best combination of elements.

Generally, "elegant" connotes sophisticated lines, limited palette, strong impact, grace and style...sometimes unique. Make sure your original photo is of the right kind or you'll never get there. That also means you should eliminate all background "junk" unless it adds to the elegant theme, or replace the background with something else.

Find out what other materials and colors the customer has in his living room, and what style they are. Interviewing the client is a very important if overlooked tool in any artist's arsenal.

You never know, he might be wanting a classic framed oil painting like J.P. Morgan hanging on a bank wall or he might want a minimalist Warhol-style portrait. Elegance is in the eye of the beholder.

:) dee

Mike Null
01-31-2010, 2:33 PM
I think like Jim and Dee. One thing's for sure, whatever method you choose the "presentation" may make the difference between "elegant and not".

Look at alternatives for framing your work preferably with a substantial border and several types of frames including shadow box types.

Dee Gallo
01-31-2010, 6:27 PM
Steve,

I had a thought when your statement "probably no LEDs" kept swirling around in my brain. I have done a lot of LED portraits and they look as good unlit as lit. In fact, I recently did one which looks better unlit if you ask me. Have you considered a floating glass or shadow box style frame with a reverse carved portrait? It's a modern look, but can be classy looking if done in a large size with a chrome or other metal frame or better yet, standoffs. Of course, that's if they want a modern look.

Just had to get this idea out there so it won't clutter my head anymore.

Uma Duffy
02-01-2010, 7:42 PM
Elegance

by Hayden Carruth (http://www.elabs7.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=fj6,k37m,dv,igkh,etzb,ipmh,8lsq)

No elegance is
ascribed to sweat: dripping from
the carpenter's nose

onto the clean ply-
wood. Yet I recall in my
big sheepskin how I

sweated in the snow,
heaving the axe and peavey,
and how sweet it was.

And how jubilee
cried in jay-song to the gray
sky, and the white owl

sailed on extended
wings unerringly among
the snow-clad spruces.

MR.MATTHEW ROUSE
02-01-2010, 9:20 PM
amen to that poem!

Bill Cunningham
02-02-2010, 8:19 PM
Hi Steve,

I believe the word "elegant" means different things to each person. If I had this customer, I would open up a magazine or book and ask the customer to show me what he thinks is elegant. And, what he thinks is awful. That way, you will be on the same page to start the project. Let the customer become invested in the outcome.

I have to agree with Dee.. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :D This person may have a blacklight, velvet Elvis on their living room wall, and could be expecting something of the same social quality theres no accounting for taste or lack thereof;)