PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart Dilema Need Help!

Joe Leigh
01-30-2010, 8:43 AM
This is my first attempt at using Purpleheart as a primary wood in a project. The plan for this box is to use BLO and shellac. I applied the BLO same as I've done a hundred times before. However in this case the oil seems blotchy and uneven

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN1682.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/DSCN1683.jpg

The piece was wiped of excess oil an hour after it was applied and has been in a 70deg room for almost a week. It is dry to the touch but still appears as though it hasn't yet dried. What do you guys think?
Should I sand it out until it's even and apply shellac? Should I apply another coat of BLO and hope it evens out?? Anyone have experience with Purpleheart and BLO??

SOS.....

Dale Coons
01-30-2010, 9:13 AM
Can' help you with the BLO qustion, but I have had good results finishing purple heart with several coats of wipe-on poly. might not be the look you're going for, but it has worked well for me.

Brian Kent
01-30-2010, 1:36 PM
There is a lot of grain direction shift in Purpleheart. I think you found some. I don't know how to cancel it out, so I think you have a natural artistic feature rather than a problem.

Casey Gooding
01-30-2010, 3:00 PM
Not sure how to help you out. Maybe a good wipedown with mineral spirits. Personally, I think purpleheart suffers from oil finishes. It seems to dull the beautiful grain of purpleheart. Perhaps a clear film finish like Sealcoat would be a better option. You can thin it quite a bit so it doesn't build a thick film.

Steve Vaughan
01-31-2010, 9:38 AM
I'm thinking that the oils/resins in the purpleheart are causing the problem and not compatible with the BLO? Similar to other exotics where the natural oils might not be compatible with certain finishes. Some require the wipe-down with mineral spirits before glue-up.

I remember bandsawing some pieces of purpleheart with tight turns and the resin was burning and you could see it coming to surface around the area of the cutting. I'm with the idea of a nice clear finish on that purple heart! And, that is a nice-looking project you got there from what I can tell! Hope this helps.

Tony Bilello
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I also think that the natural oils and resins in the purpleheart are preventing the blo from penetrating and also posssibly reaqcting with it.
I personally never use BLO, I may be suffereing from a visual impairment, but I dont see any difference between BLO and a clear (amber) finish.
Anyway, back to your situation, a good wipedown with lacquer thinner should remove the BLO and any oily residue from the purple heart. When you wipedown, you cant do this like a pansy, the rag must be soaking in the thinner or all you will be doing is smearing it around. Remember to rotate the rag and then chuck it.
I am not sure if mineral spirits is up to the task, but if others say it worked for them, then I'm sure it is OK. I always have tons of lacquer thinner around, so that it what I use, in addition to it being a very good solvent.

Jim King
02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Did you check the moisture content of the wood ? It looks as if you have high moisture content in the wood under part of the finish. Everyone will tell you that the Purple Heart they are selling is Kiln Dried. Normally it is not as it takes to long and the wholesale price does not justify it.