PDA

View Full Version : Turning black palm...

gary butcher
01-30-2010, 2:54 AM
I just bought a 4x4x2" block of black palm to play with, is there anything I need to know about turning this stuff before I start? I've never used it before and it looks like nice stuff.

Ken Glass
01-30-2010, 6:21 AM
Gary,
You will find it chips very easy. It is very brittle when making fine detail because of the open grain. I make wine Stoppers out of it as requested, and it has very unique end grain. I usually have to go slow and sharpen often. It buffs to a high luster. I find it is hard to find any larger pieces when a client wanted a 8" bowl from it. Good luck and take your time.

Peter Luch
01-30-2010, 1:41 PM
I've used palm, but not black plam to make a wine glass base. The stuff comes out really shiney but I had to take it down to a little oversized from what I wanted and sand the rest of the way.
Like Ken said it can leave splintered areas real easy as the grain is so open.
Very , very interesting look when it is finished.

Good luck!

Aloha, Pete

David E Keller
01-30-2010, 4:31 PM
Ditto what the others said about splintering. It's pretty dusty to work with and doesn't really generate curls when turning... More of a dust.

The end grain is fantastic on that stuff, and it will take a beautiful finish.

Post some photos when you get it turned.

Mike Minto
01-30-2010, 5:37 PM
Gary, it's beautiful material, and not too expensive to boot. I agree - sharp tools, a light touch. Finishes really nice. Post a pic!

Peter Luch
01-30-2010, 6:59 PM
Ditto on posting some pics when your done.
Each palm turning is a wonderful jigsaw of fibers in different colors.

Really nice to look at!

PICTURES!!!!

Aloha, Pete

gary butcher
01-30-2010, 7:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
It does look really cool and to be sure I bought a second blank today as it's only $5 a piece, it should certainly make an eyecatching pair of headphones if I don't mess it up :)

I'll post pics when it's done,

gary butcher
01-31-2010, 4:14 AM
Well that was relatively painless and quick.

I drilled a hole 1/2" deep in each side with a colt forstner bit then opened out the hole with the easy rougher to the right size. Cut the corners off the block with the bandsaw and finished rounding it with the Easy Finisher Mini at a shear angle. Parted the block into two and turned the outer shape with a bowl gauge and mini shear scraper. A little bit of sanding to smooth it down and slapped some Tru-Oil on it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140299&stc=1&d=1264928833

:D