PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had this happen before?

Geoffrey Frey
01-30-2010, 1:53 AM
I was in the shop yesterday, ripping a 4' piece of bloodwood, when I started to think that I should have checked for possible health risks associated with this particular species. I have a book that gives me that sort of info. I no sooner thought that, when I suddenly became very dizzy. I shut the saw off and went outside for a few seconds and started to feel better. I decided to head back into the shop and the same thing happened! Almost to the point of me falling over. The book I have (Wood Identification and Use) lists nothing like that sort of side effect from sawdust, and a quick search on the net hasn't returned anything either.

I atill have to make a few more cuts with the lumber, but I think I'll be using my respirator, as a severe reaction would likely be not very pleasant. :eek: I sort of thought that maybe it was all in my head, but I don't feel like playing Russian Roulette around a table saw.

Anyway, I guess this yet another good reminder to learn about the species of wood you are working with, especially if it is exotic and you haven't worked with it before.

Jeff Willard
01-30-2010, 7:04 AM
BOTANICAL NAME: Brosimum Rubescens of the family Moraceae

NOTE: a dust mask & long sleeves should always be used while working this wood, as some reports say that it causes skin and respiratory problems in some people.

Got that from Hobbithouse. http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

I've never had any problems with it, but must admit that my exposure has been very limited.

Robert Parrish
01-30-2010, 7:12 AM
I have had allergy problems with wood for the past 40 years. My main allergy is to white oak but I'm currently suffering from contact dermatitis with purple heart. Both of my eyes itch and burn when I work with it. I wear my Trend when possible but there is always some dust in the shop that gets stirred up.

Mike Cruz
01-30-2010, 8:03 AM
Hey, if this stuff is THAT powerful, maybe you just found a new sorce of income...dime bags! :D

Seriously, though, I've worked with bloodwood without any masks or glasses, and no issues. Sounds like it hit you particularly strong. Certainly worth protecting yourself...even if it is in your head. Wouldn't be fun to pass out in a place with a bunch of iron tables and sharp moving parts.

glenn bradley
01-30-2010, 8:48 AM
I think you're just one of those folks that grows faint at the sight of blood (I know, plenty of comedians are out of work). I have not had problems with it but I use it only in small projects so my cutting, sanding and other exposure are similarly small. No troubles here.

Geoffrey Frey
01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
It definately caught me off guard, as I don't have any allergies that I know of. I guess there's a first for everything.
As for not liking the sight of blood, that could pose some problems if I didn't like that sort of thing-- my day job is a paramedic. :D

Frank Drew
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Geoffrey,

As I know you know, dizziness wouldn't be the most common response to an allergen, but it could be that the dust or something else triggered a temporary vasodilation, causing your bp (and thus perfusion to the brain) to drop.

Jeff Willard
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
It definately caught me off guard, as I don't have any allergies that I know of. I guess there's a first for everything.

With something in the area of 40,000 woody plants on the planet, it's inconceivable that you wouldn't be allergic to something.

Tony Bilello
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
The only alergic reaction I have had with wood so far is Padouk. Everytime I turn padouk and powersand, I get a rash on my left arm. This does not happen when making padouk table tops and furniture no matter how much I sand. It probably has something to do with the real fine dust of powersanding on the lathe.
Alergic reactions to rosewood and it's family have been known to close your throat and cause serious breathing problems that usually require a trip to the emergency room. I cant remember the medical name for this type of reaction, but I actually knew someone that it happened to.

William Nimmo
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I recently worked with guanacoste and the saw dust instantly causes irritation in lungs. Even with pretty good dust control.

Frank Drew
01-30-2010, 1:31 PM
Alergic reactions... have been known to close your throat and cause serious breathing problems that usually require a trip to the emergency room. I cant remember the medical name for this type of reaction...

Anaphylaxis, anaphylactic reaction, etc. Along with hives and airway constriction, this extreme allergic reaction can also precipitate severe hypotension (due to vasodilation), abdominal cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Often it's the hypotension of anaphylactic shock that proves fatal, even if the airway is controlled.

Cody Colston
01-30-2010, 1:40 PM
I don't think I'm allergic to anything but evidently some woods can affect people differently in many cases. It's possible you were having a reaction to the Bloodwood dust.

It's also possible that your reaction is psychosomatic. Immediately after thinking that you could be allergic to Bloodwood, you became dizzy...hmmm.

Karl Card
01-30-2010, 3:29 PM
Here a while back i had answered a thread about teak. Well teak clears up my snus but also burns the living daylights out of them. Others responded that it had never bothered them. So I got in the habit of alwasy wearing my respirator and have not looked back since. But your are so correct in the fact you do not want to be dizzy around a table saw..