PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted Bed Bugs

Christopher Pine
01-29-2010, 10:33 PM
My wife belongs to a small group of other moms here local to us. They get together and take the kids to the park and do activities together fairly regularily. Well one of the Moms discovered what she says was bed bugs. There were some on the babies bed and the Mom had a few bites. She never had this professionaly checked out. They cleaned everything very thoroughly and washed everything and even bug balmed the room. They placed tape stiky side up all over the house to see if any bugs got stuck on it and have not seen anything since. Well long story short some of the other moms got wind of this and did not want them to come to the group any longer until they had an exterminater examine the home and they would have to follow whatever course they recomend. This happened like 6 months agao and there has been no sign of any bugs since.
Now first thing is I feel this is ridiculous and our kids go over there regularily and play and vice versa... we have not had any signs of anythng! I just think this is so wrong! What do you all think?
The logic being they are running with the assumption that they hare infested and that bed bugs travel like a virus from children to other children...etc.

Mitchell Andrus
01-29-2010, 10:40 PM
They can hitchhike in luggage used in a hotel room. There was a TV show that showed a trained dog that found exactly this not long ago. They were in a piece of luggage used on a trip and only one other place in the home, the bed where the bag was unpacked. So, yes. They can come home with you, on you. Which means that even the cleanest homes can still become infected.

Like bugs in your cupboard, they don't just appear as if by magic.

Christopher Pine
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
and I know it can happen but I think it is very unlikeyl that my kids playing with there kids will bring home bed bugs if they even had them to begin with!

Russ Filtz
02-01-2010, 8:52 AM
They cleaned everything very thoroughly and washed everything and even bug balmed the room.

All that balm did was help out with their tiny chapped lips! :D Assume you mean "bombed"?

Bob Glenn
02-01-2010, 9:12 AM
According to a recent TV report, the poison must come in direct contact with bed bugs to kill them. Residual contact does nothing. Said they were hard to exterminate.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2010, 9:26 AM
My wife works in a school. Bed bugs and head lice are definitely communicable via the human body. I have lost track of the number of times she has come home with special soaps and shampoos......we strip the bed of sheets and laundry them.....shower...spray the house. I've lost track of the number of times and what we are doing it for...I just do it.