PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Fence ?

Robert Flowers
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I have a Delta 10" left tilt contractor's saw and a buddy had traded me a Biesemeyer Fence model BC30 he never used. So went to put it on tonight and have a few questions.
#1 The hole in the rails don't line up with the holes in the cast iron extension tables i have.
Do i need to drill new holes in the rails?

#2 The fence came with a 14x27 extension table and a set of legs. I bolted the table to the rails on the right side against the cast iron extension table.
Do i need to use the legs or will the rails be enough support?

#3 I was thanking about putting my rockler router plate in the new extension table. Good idea ? and if i did would i need the legs?

The reason i am asking about the legs is i have a small shop (12x16) so the saw must be mobile so i would need to build a base. Any designs i can steal ;)

Robert

Matt Meiser
01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
You can drill new holes in the rail or in the cast iron as long as the latter doesn't interfere with existing webbing or something like that. If they need to be tapped, just pick up a tap at the local hardware store--cast iron taps real easy.

I'd definitely add the legs. When you set something heavy on there or a friend decides to sit on it, it might get pretty unstable.

The wing is a great place for a router table, especially in a small shop, and lets you use the fence to hold an auxiliary router fence. Its not as convenient as a separate table, but I'm keeping mine there even though I have a dedicated table now for when a second setup would be nice. Check the table for flatness because they aren't always very flat. I'd add a reinforcement underneath too. My recommendation would be to just cut a piece of plywood or even MDF to completely fill the space, glue it and add screws for clamping, but keep them out of the way of where you'll later cut for the plate, or remove them after the glue dries. That will add a lot of support for the weight of the router.

Robert Flowers
01-29-2010, 10:57 PM
My recommendation would be to just cut a piece of plywood or even MDF to completely fill the space

That's a good idea i had not though of that. Thanks
Robert
http://C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5COwner%5CMy%20Doc uments%5Cboatplans

Cary Falk
01-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Here is one that will work for a short fence. It is made from wood in case you can't weld.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0381.jpg

Robert Flowers
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Cary that's looks like what i had in mine.
What wood did you use?
I'm in Macon,Ga. only one hardwood dealer around that i know of and i priced 150bf of poplar 1x6 and he wanted 8.00 a bd. ft. So i was hoping to build out of yellow pine 2xs and plywood

Robert

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Definitely add the legs. When i bought my extension table I didn't realize it came with legs because they shipped separate and I didn't get them til 3 days later. Long story short, had to order a new table and have 2 sets of legs and a broken old table...

Randal Stevenson
01-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Since you said it is a contractor saw, I wouldn't plan on using those legs. I would say, build a torsion box frame, with some wheels, and leg levelers. On top of that, add the cabinet portions (drawers/doors, as you see fit), and an enclose area, around the top, where your router is (dust collection). I've seen them before, here and on another forum, but I don't have any local links saved.

EDIT, Just one example:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26459&highlight=BT3100+base (searched using bt3100, because I first seen them used with them)

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Since you said it is a contractor saw, I wouldn't plan on using those legs. I would say, build a torsion box frame, with some wheels, and leg levelers. On top of that, add the cabinet portions (drawers/doors, as you see fit), and an enclose area, around the top, where your router is (dust collection). I've seen them before, here and on another forum, but I don't have any local links saved.

EDIT, Just one example:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26459&highlight=BT3100+base (searched using bt3100, because I first seen them used with them)

Forget what I said, do that!

Cary Falk
01-30-2010, 2:07 AM
Cary that's looks like what i had in mine.
What wood did you use?
I'm in Macon,Ga. only one hardwood dealer around that i know of and i priced 150bf of poplar 1x6 and he wanted 8.00 a bd. ft. So i was hoping to build out of yellow pine 2xs and plywood

Robert

It's 5/4" Read Oak ~4" wide

Michael Flores
01-30-2010, 9:03 AM
Biesemeyer makes or use to make a smaller version fence for contractors saws. I learned the hard way when i bought one and brought it home. it was too small for my unisaw. None of the holes lined up with the current one i was trying to replace. The box rail was smaller and the fence was smaller.

Robert Flowers
01-30-2010, 4:22 PM
Sorry i didn't answer sooner been fighting a bug on the computer.

Randal thanks for the link :D
I went looking for a door i could use as a base but only found particleboard core no MDF core could i cut the door down to 52" long without trouble?

Robert