PDA

View Full Version : The Big Thompson Roughing Gouge

Mike Minto
01-29-2010, 6:21 PM
Here is my newest tool from Doug, got it today - the 1 1/4 SRG he makes. This is 1 of 7 that he made for this latest batch of tools. Anyway, I like to see photos of the tools he has not got pics of on his website, so here's one. This goes in my 'retirement drawer' (there's 3 in there, now) in the toolbox, and won't see a handle for 10 years :confused:. Maybe :p.

John Keeton
01-29-2010, 6:24 PM
More power!!! Bigger is better!! I would have to put a handle on that thing and try it!

Ron Bontz
01-29-2010, 6:27 PM
That's the first time I have seen one. How wide is the internal flute? Diameter total?:)

Kyle Iwamoto
01-29-2010, 6:30 PM
More power!!! Bigger is better!! I would have to put a handle on that thing and try it!

I agree, it doesn't do any good sitting in the drawer without a handle.

Tony De Masi
01-29-2010, 6:33 PM
Nice looking tool but like others have said it does you no good if you put it in a drawer.

Tony

Jim Slovik
01-29-2010, 6:50 PM
You've got a lot more will power than me if you can wait ten years to use it!! Nice looking tool.

Mike Minto
01-29-2010, 7:12 PM
That's the first time I have seen one. How wide is the internal flute? Diameter total?:)

Ron, being an 'American' tool, it is measured/sized at the overall diameter, which is 1 1/4"; the internal measurement is right at 7/8".

Gary Max
01-29-2010, 8:10 PM
I need a Roughing Gouge mine is about ready to retire, so I went and checked this out-
$175.00 and they are sold out-------ouch

Mike Minto
01-29-2010, 8:42 PM
I need a Roughing Gouge mine is about ready to retire, so I went and checked this out-
$175.00 and they are sold out-------ouch

Gary, if you really want one, you might call Doug - don't know if they are all sold, or not - he says occasionally one will get ruined in the final heat treating, and he won't sell a tool like that - so the web page might not accurately reflect his inventory.

Gary Max
01-29-2010, 8:46 PM
Thanks Mike----I am really in need of one. My Old Sorby is about 6 years old and on it's last grind.

David E Keller
01-29-2010, 9:59 PM
That thing looks massive. I'd get a handle on it quick... You never know what the future holds, so I'd use it now.

Joshua Dinerstein
01-30-2010, 1:37 AM
Here is my newest tool from Doug, got it today - the 1 1/4 SRG he makes. This is 1 of 7 that he made for this latest batch of tools. Anyway, I like to see photos of the tools he has not got pics of on his website, so here's one. This goes in my 'retirement drawer' (there's 3 in there, now) in the toolbox, and won't see a handle for 10 years :confused:. Maybe :p.
Wow. That is an awesome looking tool. One of these days I am going to have get one like that. :)

Well done! And have fun. You know a handle doesn't make you have to use it all the time. Just a thought.

Joshua

Paul Atkins
01-30-2010, 5:15 PM
Why won't you use it for 10 years? You could be hit by a truck in 10 days. Just curious.

Mike Minto
01-30-2010, 5:35 PM
Paul (and others), I have lots of tools right now, and am just 'stocking up' for retirement - both tools and good wood. They will be my retirement present to myself - maybe I will get a 'dream lathe' to go with, I can't really say. If I am hit by a truck, meteor, or other catastrophe, I'll be able to leave a nice present for some lucky woodturner :rolleyes:. Plus, who knows how long Doug will be making tools; hopefully for a really long time, but...in any event, I'll enjoy collecting them.

Clint Baxter
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Got one of these beasts when I ordered a bunch of his other tools. Steep price, but you're getting a lot of steel there. I've definitely been happy with the one I have. Like all of Tim's tools, holds an edge quite well. And with the larger size, you got more cutting edge allowing you to rotate the tool to a new "sharp" spot before making your next trip back to the grinder.

Clint

Mike Minto
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Got one of these beasts when I ordered a bunch of his other tools. Steep price, but you're getting a lot of steel there. I've definitely been happy with the one I have. Like all of Tim's tools, holds an edge quite well. And with the larger size, you got more cutting edge allowing you to rotate the tool to a new "sharp" spot before making your next trip back to the grinder.

Clint

'Tim'? (I actually found the tool to be smaller than I expected it to be - although the tang is larger, I was thinking it would be flat - I'm used to Sorby and their European measurements :o).

John Keeton
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe Clint was watching "Tooltime" when he posted!:D

Clint Baxter
02-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Blew that one! Sincerest apologies to Doug. (Have a neighbor here by the name of Timm Thompson and slipped that one in after being up too long. And I didn't even get his name right. :o )

Doug Thompson
02-07-2010, 7:15 PM
No problem at all I've been called worst... we knew what you were saying.