View Full Version : tenon length

paul cottingham
01-29-2010, 5:38 PM
I am building a side table for my living room. Its is 18 by 13 inches. I have miscut the aprons for the 13" sides so that the tenons will only be about 3/8 to 1/2 inches long. Will they be strong enough? all the other tenons are 3/4 of an inch. It si made from quartersawn white oak, and will likely be glued and pinned.

Thanks again.

Nathan Callender
01-29-2010, 5:52 PM
It might be hard to pin a small tenon like that, but with glue on an apron for a side table, that seems to be fine (3/8") if they fit well and are glued properly. Depending on the design, all it has to withstand is racking motion as weight is transfered through the legs. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike Henderson
01-29-2010, 5:56 PM
If you're really worried about it, cut the tenon off and do a loose tenon.

Mike

Joe Scharle
01-29-2010, 6:20 PM
Agree with Mike. Do loose tenons and never regret it.

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:32 AM
If you're really worried about it, cut the tenon off and do a loose tenon.

Mike

Sorry but newbie and have yet to do my first mortise and tenon joint. Doing matching end tables of poplar and bloodwood soon using them though. What's a loose tenon consist of?

mreza Salav
01-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Cut a mortise exactly the same size as the other mortise (or, say, the same thickness of the tenon you have). Then use a piece the same thickness to be the tenon in both (like a biscuit).
Since I learned this I rarely use traditional M/T anymore.

Mike Henderson
01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Sorry but newbie and have yet to do my first mortise and tenon joint. Doing matching end tables of poplar and bloodwood soon using them though. What's a loose tenon consist of?
You do a mortise in both pieces, then make a "tenon" that fits across them.

If you're familiar with the Festool Domino, that's what it does - it makes two mortises and Festool provides you with tenons that fit exactly into the mortises and is just the right length. You glue the tenon into both mortises.

Another way to look at it is to cut off your tenon on the apron part. Then make a mortise where the tenon was on the apron. Make yourself a piece of wood that exactly fits into that mortise. That piece of wood is now your tenon that used to be too short, but now can be cut to the proper length. That piece of wood will be hidden - it will go into your other mortise - so you don't have to worry about grain match or even color.

Since the "tenon" goes into two mortises, it's called a "loose tenon" since it was not originally a part of either piece of wood.

Hope that explains it.

Mike

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Cut a mortise exactly the same size as the other mortise (or, say, the same thickness of the tenon you have). Then use a piece the same thickness to be the tenon in both (like a biscuit).
Since I learned this I rarely use traditional M/T anymore.

I gotcha, basically a dowel, but a tenon instead. Kinda like the Beadlock Joinery. Thanks for the insight. Will have to give those a try.