PDA

View Full Version : Which size to get first,,3/8 or 1/2 spindle gouge

Jack Gaskins
01-29-2010, 4:35 PM
? Which size should I order first from Doug Thompson. He has regular spindle gouges and then he has DEEP FLUTE spindle gouges. I have a 1/4" spindle gouge that came with a HF set but I want a bigger one and since I am really new to turning I dont have the experience to decide on my own so, which size spindle gouge is good for what types/sizes of spindle turning and what is the difference between a regular depth and a "deep fluted" spindle gouge? Tried finding some info on the internet but couldnt really come up with any thing.

Jim Slovik
01-29-2010, 5:03 PM
Nobody knows Doug Thompson tools as well as Doug Thompson does. Give him a call and he'll answer all of your questions in a friendly and professional manner. If you tell him what you are trying to accomplish, he'll tell you the tool that's right for the job. He has a wealth of information and he's always happy to share it. I just recieved my last order from Doug today. I felt like a kid on Christmas day when I opened the mailbox. Regardless of which one you decide to purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

Steve Mawson
01-29-2010, 5:25 PM
What Jim said. Doug is a great guy to talk with. He for sure will not try to sell you something you do not need.

Jack Gaskins
01-29-2010, 6:14 PM
Nobody knows Doug Thompson tools as well as Doug Thompson does. Give him a call and he'll answer all of your questions in a friendly and professional manner. If you tell him what you are trying to accomplish, he'll tell you the tool that's right for the job. He has a wealth of information and he's always happy to share it. I just recieved my last order from Doug today. I felt like a kid on Christmas day when I opened the mailbox. Regardless of which one you decide to purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

The reason I was asking on which size was I want to try to use the spindle gouge for hollowing endgrain boxes, birdhouse and such. In all the videos I have watched they all use a spindle gouge to remove the wood from endgrain but when I did a search on some turning sites I found that a lot of turners prefer to use a hollowing tool like the termite/oland or Hunter type tools so now I am a bit confused on what my next tool purchase should be.

Matt Hutchinson
01-29-2010, 6:23 PM
I recommend the 1/2" spindle gouge. It's easy to sharpen, it's slightly larger diameter gives it more rigidity for hollowing, and it can be used for a multitude of tasks (hollowing, roughing, shaping).

Hutch

Jack Gaskins
01-29-2010, 6:34 PM
I recommend the 1/2" spindle gouge. It's easy to sharpen, it's slightly larger diameter gives it more rigidity for hollowing, and it can be used for a multitude of tasks (hollowing, roughing, shaping).

Hutch

I was leaning towards the 1/2". I am just trying to figure out if I should start out with a spindle gouge to removing the end grain or get something like a Hunter or Easy Rougher?????

Bill Bulloch
01-29-2010, 7:10 PM
I was leaning towards the 1/2". I am just trying to figure out if I should start out with a spindle gouge to removing the end grain or get something like a Hunter or Easy Rougher?????

For hollowing small items like boxes and birdhouses, I always use either a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge and a scraper. You know you can make it easier by drilling with a Forstner bit and then finishing with the gouge and/or scraper.

Ryan Baker
01-29-2010, 8:02 PM
As a first spindle gouge, I would say 3/8" because that is by far the most versatile/useful spindle tool. But if you are going to be hollowing end grain, you would probably be better off with the 1/2" for more strength. (Or get both -- they are cheap!) I don't usually hollow with a spindle gouge (that seems to be more common with the old-timers). I would more likely use a bowl gouge, hook tool, scraper, etc. A spindle gouge works well if you don't have to go very deep. They aren't much good beyond a few inches (they start to vibrate).

Jack Gaskins
01-29-2010, 9:49 PM
As a first spindle gouge, I would say 3/8" because that is by far the most versatile/useful spindle tool. But if you are going to be hollowing end grain, you would probably be better off with the 1/2" for more strength. (Or get both -- they are cheap!) I don't usually hollow with a spindle gouge (that seems to be more common with the old-timers). I would more likely use a bowl gouge, hook tool, scraper, etc. A spindle gouge works well if you don't have to go very deep. They aren't much good beyond a few inches (they start to vibrate).

What would you use for hollowing pencil pots that are about 4 inches deep and boxes that would be 3 inches deep? Spindle gouge or something like a hunter tool?

Mike Peace
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I start hollowing with a spindle gouge and then finish with a scraper. I reground one of my HF scrapers to be flat across. Another round nosed HF scraper I reground to relieve the left side.

Sometimes I use a P&N 1/2" spindle gouge and for hollowing less than 3", I use my Thompson 3/6" detail spindle gouge. Doug told me his 3/8" detail spindle gouge is his biggest seller.

Ryan Baker
01-30-2010, 9:09 PM
What would you use for hollowing pencil pots that are about 4 inches deep and boxes that would be 3 inches deep? Spindle gouge or something like a hunter tool?

A square-end scraper is as good as anything, and very fast. I might use a gouge if I was in the mood. Lately, I have been using a hook tool more often. I would not use a Hunter, except maybe for finishing. To me, the Hunter tool is a finishing tool, not a roughing tool. There are many ways that work -- it is mostly your preference.

Jack Gaskins
02-01-2010, 1:16 PM
I start hollowing with a spindle gouge and then finish with a scraper. I reground one of my HF scrapers to be flat across. Another round nosed HF scraper I reground to relieve the left side.

Sometimes I use a P&N 1/2" spindle gouge and for hollowing less than 3", I use my Thompson 3/6" detail spindle gouge. Doug told me his 3/8" detail spindle gouge is his biggest seller.

I called Doug Thompson today and asked him what the difference was between the regular spindle gouge and his Deep Fluted spindle gouge and he said that the Deep FLuted spindle gouge was easier to control. So I ordered one of his 1/2" DF spindle gouges :D.