PDA

View Full Version : Dimesions with leaders and text in Photoshop?

Guy Mathews
01-29-2010, 1:21 PM
Can someone tell me if there is a quick way to do dimesions with leaders and text in Photoshop?

I want to have photos for the web with dimensions printed on them like the one attached. I did this one in Corel 12. I prefer to edit photos in PS. There lies the problem. I do not want to import and export all day long and I can not find the Magic button on PS that will allow me to do it.

In Rhino or CAD it is a dimension command with automatic leaders and text. I am basically looking to do this fast. When I say fast, I mean 2 mouse clicks and a hand movement at best.

Thanks guys.

Doug Griffith
01-29-2010, 1:54 PM
I'm going to say it isn't possible. An option would be to use Illustrator with Cadtools. Place the image with linking enabled. Edit the linked file with Photoshop through Illustrator. Add your dimensions. Add crop area. Export to web.

Quite a few more mouse clicks but not as much bouncing between apps.

Martin Boekers
01-29-2010, 2:22 PM
Are the dimensions all the same, just different photos?

If so you may be able to set up an action to resize and add the text.

Marty

Guy Mathews
01-29-2010, 2:39 PM
I'm going to say it isn't possible. An option would be to use Illustrator with Cadtools. Place the image with linking enabled. Edit the linked file with Photoshop through Illustrator. Add your dimensions. Add crop area. Export to web.

Quite a few more mouse clicks but not as much bouncing between apps.

I have to agree there. I will give this a try and let you know. Thanks Doug.

Guy Mathews
01-29-2010, 2:47 PM
Are the dimensions all the same, just different photos?

If so you may be able to set up an action to resize and add the text.

Marty

Martin,

No, every leg, finial, chair whatever it is all have different measurements. I am trying to find the fastest way possible to do these in the least number of apps. I have thought about making a stock vertical and horizontal leader and just scaling it to fit and then typing dimensions.

My problem is basically when I turn the project over to the office assistant on Monday, I do not want her trying to micromanage the dimensions for the sake of artistic creativty or time burning. I want her to click roughly on the top of the item, move to the bottom of the item, click, drag to the side and type text. This operation should take no longer then 30 seconds start to finish before the next step. The problem is, no matter how well you explain or demonstrate what you want, there is an employee who will always find a way to slow down the process.

That is why I love my CNC machines! They do exactly what I tell them to do!

I know the answer is here somewhere and it will show itself on this forum.

Thanks Martin.

Guy

George D Gabert
01-29-2010, 4:03 PM
You might try "Scale Markers". Attached is a brief tutorial.

Regards
GDG