PDA

View Full Version : Convert Bench into "real" bench

brian c miller
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a sams club bench witha 1.75" thick solid maple top. This one shown here.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0001764120206_L4.jpg

Right now it is way too high. I'm 5'8" and it's 38" tall. My question is could I convert this into a bench using the top an building a new base, cut these legs down or does it make mroe sense to leave this as an auxillary bench and start from scratch.

Jerome Hanby
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Just my $.02. Building a Workbench seems like one of those projects that you just have to do at least once. I've looked at that Sam's worktable a bunch, and should I ever get my shed built and the yard junk out of my garage/shop, I'm planning to buy one for use as an assembly table. I'd be tempted to use it as the workbench you always seem to need in order to build a workbench, then let it be an assembly table afterward...

Jeff Willard
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
...leave this as an auxillary bench and start from scratch.

That's what I'd do. Building a bench is a great project, in and of itself.

Billy Chambless
01-29-2010, 1:00 PM
I would build a new base, using that top.

Prashun Patel
01-29-2010, 1:16 PM
In this case, I agree with start from scratch. a "real" bench should be thicker, lower, wider, heavier. It'll be easier to do these things from scratch than to retrofit the SC bench.

glenn bradley
01-29-2010, 2:06 PM
The height and the frame design under the top are what kept me from getting one of these. It is a rock solid construction but just doesn't lend itself well to wood working. If the top is really flat; perhaps a way to split the difference is to build a proper base for that top and buy a hollow core door or something to put on the metal leg frame as a general work surface.

If the top is not dead flat I would just use the bench for what it is and build yourself a woodworking bench that meets your needs. You shop built bench does not need to be a work of art to be very functional. Mine is 4 layers of 3/4" MDF and a fir frame. Add a couple decent vises and some dog holes and your in. Work it for a few years and then when you have discovered what is important to you, build a new one. ;-)

Robert Rozaieski
01-29-2010, 3:01 PM
At 1¾" thick, that top is plenty thick enough for a bench top. I'd use it and just build a base. Laminating a bench top is a terrible task to do with hand tools and only slightly less aggravating when you have power. With that top, you are already half way to a scaled down English bench. Build a simple base with cross bearers (think floor joists) and that top is plenty thick enough.

Conrad Fiore
01-29-2010, 4:04 PM
Plenty thick. Mill grooves around the top edge and attach aprons with splines, add a base, vise or two and you have the real deal bench. For the overall height, go with the distance from floor to your wrist.

David Gendron
01-29-2010, 6:29 PM
+1 on use the top for a bench. If 38 is to hight for a bench, it will be to hight for an assembly table!

Joe McMahon
01-29-2010, 7:09 PM
Rockler has their maple base kit almost 50% while supplies last. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22587&filter=New%20Products

George Moore
01-29-2010, 8:16 PM
This is the same SC bench modified by a SMC poster, Dewey Torres. This may change your mind about what can be done with this bench.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79908&highlight=SAM%27S+BENCH

Have a Blessed day and hope this helps.
George