PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Shawn Siegrist
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I recently purchased a G1023SLW from Grizzly, I can not get the saw to not leave saw marks. Checked the arbor and I have 6 thousandths of movement as I rotate the arbor by hand. If I push on anything that is attached to the arbor, parts of the trunion or the belt I also get movement. Contacted Grizzly and they want me to remove the top and check to make sure that everything is tightened down and to check the trunions to see if one of them is broken. My question is is this a reasonable request from Grizzly? If something just wasn't tightened at the factory how do I square the arbor up to the "T" slots? If a trunion is broken how do I replace it and again make sure that the arbor is square to the "T" slots? Shouldn't they send a tech out to do this? Or should I take the saw back and exchange it? HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Shawn

Jim Riseborough
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I had taken the top of mine to move into the basement, wasnt that hard, 4 bolts that hold it from the bottom. Obviously you have to have some help if you leave the fence rails and extensions attached.

Neil Brooks
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Shouldn't they send a tech out to do this?

From what Grizzly has told me (under two unfortunate QC instances) is that they do NOT have a service network.

That leaves you with only a few choices. Good luck.

Shawn Siegrist
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
taking the top off is easy, not worried about that at all. What I am concerned with is how do I make sure that the arbor is square to the "T" slots?

Jeff Monson
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I think I would go with the request to remove the top as it should be fairly simple, if there was a broken trunion I would recemmond to grizzley you would like a replacement saw. If its just something loose then it should be a fairly simple fix.

Jeff Monson
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
taking the top off is easy, not worried about that at all. What I am concerned with is how do I make sure that the arbor is square to the "T" slots?

There's alot of good ways to align the blade to the mitre slot, I have a dial indicator like this one http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021008/23768/Pinnacle-Saw-Gauge.aspx

I dont use it that often but it does a really nice job of making sure the blade is square to the mitre slot and then I use it to align my fence.

Glen Butler
01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I was having the same trouble until I read that the fence should be splayed out from parallel to the blade by .001"-.002". This fixed my problem.

Before you dig deep to solve the problem check the easy stuff. Check the arbour washer for runout, it sounds from above you checked the end of the threads. Check your blade for runout. Make sure you have a good quality blade. Tenryu makes the most stable blade I own, it has been a hit or miss with freud. But some of my freud blades are very stable. Make sure you lock down the tilt and height controls

Dan Friedrichs
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM

The slots are aligned to the arbor by adjusting the position of the table. This is easy to do, and something you will find very helpful to know how to do.

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Just to make sure you understand...adjusting the blade (arbor) to the miter slots is a basic adjustment of setting up a saw. Loosen 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the top to the base and move the top until it is parallel, re tighten bolts and verify still parallel to slots. This is something you have to do when you take a top off, not because a trunnion might have to be replaced. I've never done it, but I'd say the hardest part if a trunnion had to be replaced would be dismounting/mounting the motor from/to it. Motors are heavy!! ;) I call it grunt work. Nothing scientific to it. Jim.

Shawn Siegrist
01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Blades are not the issue, tried three different blades with the same results. Check the arbor and arbot flange, run out on both up to 6 thousandths. Something is allowing the arbor to move, either something was tightened or something is broken.

Shawn Siegrist
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Is the trunion mounted to the cabinet or to the table top?

Shawn Siegrist
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
never mind, rechecked the manual and see that it is mounted to the cabinet. When I looked at how the trunion was attached on my saw from inside the cabinet I assumed that the bolt went into the table itself. Looking at the manual I see that there is a bracket on the cabinet. I will take the top off tonight and try to adjust the saw. I hope it isn't a broken trunion.

glenn bradley
01-29-2010, 2:50 PM

This is part of the expected setup on any tablesaw IMHO. I would not be concerned about that. You need to align your saw anyway.

The top may have shims at each bolt location. I used to mark these carefully so I could put them back in the same positions but, I find I will add or remove from this height when setting the blade to miter slot alignment anyway but, it may be worth doing for this quick check of the trunnion castings.

I have a thread on here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111878)about the last teardown of my saw during a relocation to make room for the new DC. It is light on pictures, PM me and I would be glad to send you more photos as I think I have good shots of most of the process.