PDA

View Full Version : Easing the edges on Skews

Michael Armstrong
01-29-2010, 2:36 AM
Just wondering what the proper (best) technique is for easing the sharp edges on a skew? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2010, 6:00 AM
Michael,

Could you explain you mean by easing the sharp edges?

I grind and then use a diamond hone on my skews. The hone removeds the sharp edge blending corner where the side meets the bevel of the edge...

If you don't own a copy of Alan Lacer's DVD "The Skew...the Dark Side-the Sweet Side" by all means buy it! In it Lacer demonstrates several ways to make slight modifications to a normal rectangular skew to make it friendlier.....He also teaches how to sharpen the skew. The techniques he demonstrates greatly improved my skew technique. Excellent video IMHO.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2010, 7:41 AM
Michael - if you mean the sharp edges along the length of the tool steel which can dig into your tool rest..... I just used the grinder and took a few light passes. Used some emery cloth to smooth out the grinder marks a little and called it good.

Michael Armstrong
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks Ken and Steve. That is exactly what I mean. I tried it with the grinder but didn't do a very smooth or tidy job of it. I've cleaned it up a little and will go from there.

I've been thinking about buying the Lacer video but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Michael

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Michael,

In his video, Lacer shows as Steve suggested to round over the short point corners on a rectangular skew. Like you I did it with a grinder. A guy might put a belt sander in a vice and use that also.

Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I used my 4" belt sander to ease my corners. Worked pretty well and had a clean surface.

John Sheets
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I used a stationary belt sander. It was a little easier to control by taking the skew to the sander.

Ryan Baker
01-29-2010, 8:20 PM
I did mine on the grinder. Put a heavy round on the short point side and a slight round on the long point side -- so that there is still a flat in the middle of the edge. It makes all the difference in handling the tool and not putting grooves in the rest.

Michael Armstrong
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully sometime this weekend I'll get back to the workshop. I've got wallpapering to do which has been on the list for a long time:eek:
Michael