PDA

View Full Version : Remote cyclone collection bin?

zayd alle
01-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Hello, folks.

I'll be mounting my new (to me) cyclone very soon. Does anyone see any reason I can't mount my dust collection bin about six feet under the bottom of the cyclone? I'd like to take advantage of my roof peak and put the cyclone up high -- above my CMS/RAS bench -- and have a duct drop down behind the fence of the bench and into a collection bin underneath the bench. The duct will have a couple of slight curves, but I believe I can stretch those enough that they shouldn't impede dust dropping into the bin.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything -- thanks!

Zayd

John Karam
01-29-2010, 2:06 AM
I installed my cyclone into the peak of my shop, but not all the way up. I've got about 3ft from the bottom of the cyclone and the top of the bin. It's a straight shot and doesn't seem to be a problem. My assumption is so long as its fairly straight it should be fine.

Steve Jenkins
01-29-2010, 8:37 AM
No problem. Just be sure the connections are all air tight. the biggest problem with cyclones comes from a leak between the cyclone and the collection point. It will cause air to move up inside the cyclone depositing all your chips in the filters.

Kent A Bathurst
01-29-2010, 9:24 AM
May want to consider a plexi sight window on collection box - emptying chips and dust from a 6' pipe won't be pretty. Don't ask how I know.

zayd alle
01-29-2010, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. I think I'll give it a shot and report back my results!

And the sight window is a great idea, Kent.

Bob Wingard
01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I have my cyclone mounted in the attic, with a 6" drop through the floor and into a bin .. no problems as long as it's all sealed up nice & tight.

You can see the installation on the ClearVue website.