PDA

View Full Version : Unifence question?

keith micinski
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I feel embarrassed to ask this, but all the people that use a unifence, do you ever have problems with your fence if you move it from the high to low position or slide it front to back? I have my fence dialed in perfect and I am always afraid to move it for fear it will lose the settings. The kicker is these features were one of the main reasons I picked the unifence. I thought for sure I would slide the fence back and use it as a stop block with my mitre gauge all of the time but after getting it all set up I have been reluctant to do this. I am just being a neurotic freak right?

jerry nazard
01-29-2010, 12:46 AM
No.
Yes.

I have never had a problem in the 28 years I have been using Unifences. It is a great fence system. Have fun!!

-Jerry

Rick Potter
01-29-2010, 3:34 AM
No problem, and mine is over 10 years old. One caveat though, don't forget that when you flip the fence over you are using the other cursor. I usually put a piece of tape over the cursor I am not using.

I'll bet you can figure out why.

Rick Potter

Greg Sznajdruk
01-29-2010, 8:16 AM
Being able to pull the fence back behind the blade for cross cutting is unique feature. The curser still is accurate and you don't have to compensate for a clamped on block. Flipping the fence for thin pieces is another advantage. Moving the fence to the left of the blade takes a short few seconds. Doing all of this does not upset the alignment of the fence. If your fence is dialed in it will remain so no matter how you adjust the fence. I have two shims that I use to set the height of the fence from the table top. Just set the fence on the shims lock it down and you are ready to work.

When I bought my saw I had to wait for the Unifence since it originally had a Bessy fence. Having used both I wanted the Unifence just my personal preference.

Have fun.

Greg

Chris Rosenberger
01-29-2010, 8:22 AM
I used Unifences for over 18 years & never had any issues with moving the fence rail. I had several different fence rails I swap between.

keith micinski
01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Well, then I am going to have to suck it up and give it a shot tomorrow. God willing I am going to get one of those DW735's at HD tomorrow and I am coming home and making something out of wood.

Joe Shinall
01-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Have used mine for a whopping 1 year!!! But I have never had an issue and I have a friend that has 2 unisaws and has never had a problem with his for over 20 years. Yes, 2 unis. One for cuts, one for dados. Some people just have it easy.

Joshua Layne
02-01-2010, 12:11 AM
If I could glom onto this, seeing as it sounds like the OP's question has been answered (and this is related) - how do you (or do you) get the fence set so it doesn't lift on the backside when locked down? I guess I am looking for a unifence basic use how-to or tune-up.

I just acquired a unifence and _think_ I have it set correctly, but am not really sure.

TIA

jerry nazard
02-01-2010, 1:35 AM
If I could glom onto this, seeing as it sounds like the OP's question has been answered (and this is related) - how do you (or do you) get the fence set so it doesn't lift on the backside when locked down? I guess I am looking for a unifence basic use how-to or tune-up.

I just acquired a unifence and _think_ I have it set correctly, but am not really sure.

TIA

Joshua,

I suppose a clamp on the far end would work: however, I cannot remember a time where I felt that securing the fence in this manner was necessary. When ripping stock, with the exception of some sheet goods, I generally have the fence pulled back to the trailing edge of the blade.

Enjoy your new fence!

-Jerry

keith micinski
02-01-2010, 1:33 PM
Well, thank you for answering my original Question. Now I am going to ask another one. I have always had my fence positioned so that about 6 inches sticks off of the back of the saw. This way it keeps it out of my way when I am making adjustments or just walking around the front of the saw. Is there any benefit to having the fence positioned in a different area or is it kind of just wherever you feel comfortable. One down side I see with my set up is it extends the fence out from the body more making it easier to deflect the fence.

Joe Shinall
02-01-2010, 4:42 PM
Well, thank you for answering my original Question. Now I am going to ask another one. I have always had my fence positioned so that about 6 inches sticks off of the back of the saw. This way it keeps it out of my way when I am making adjustments or just walking around the front of the saw. Is there any benefit to having the fence positioned in a different area or is it kind of just wherever you feel comfortable. One down side I see with my set up is it extends the fence out from the body more making it easier to deflect the fence.

I pull mine up towards the front more if ripping sheet goods. This gives you something more to press against depending on the size of the sheet you are cutting. But I am like you, most of the time it is towards the back to give me more room up front.

Joshua Layne
02-01-2010, 11:55 PM
thanks! (and sorry for thread-stealing... I am sure there is a place in he-doublehockeysticks reserved for the likes of me...)

-Josh