PDA

View Full Version : Stained or natural drawers in media credenza?

Shawn Christ
01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Alright experts, I'm building a media credenza for my brother and could use your opinion. The cabinet is red oak and will have full inset raised panel doors. It will house three full extension drawers made out of mystery wood (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99712) (ash maybe, check previous thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99712) and pics below).

We're keeping the cost low so I will use leftover 1/4" hardboard for drawer bottoms, probably doubled up for rigidity.

The credenza will be stained with a medium to dark cherry color. Not sure what the finish will be yet (either varnish, amber shellac, or waterborne).

So here's my question: should I leave the drawer sides natural or stain to (sort of) match? My first instinct was natural so they would contrast with the stain, but I don't want them to conflict with the dark drawer bottoms. Opinions?

And I suppose it would help if we knew the species of the mystery wood. It's hard (although I need to visit the sharpener soon), and heavy, and smells nutty when cutting.

Tony Bilello
01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Traditionally, drawer sides and bottoms were not stained or finished. I personally never finish them either.
There are arguements on both sides of the fence.

Seth Dolcourt
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I've never stained or finished drawer sides, either; maybe a coat of wax is all. The drawer spends much of it's life being closed, anyway, so all the work spent staining / finishing is rarely seen.

Cheers,

Seth

Shawn Christ
01-29-2010, 1:45 PM
Hmmm, I knew drawers meant for clothing typically weren't finished. But this will hold video games and discs (media). Do you still suggest no finish?

The custom kitchen cabinets I've seen have a clear finish on the drawers and also inside the cabinets.

Seth Dolcourt
01-29-2010, 2:35 PM
When my parents completed a kitchen re-do, only the the drawer fronts, doors and face frames were finished; not the drawer sides or drawer interiors. She (my mother!) has a customized drawer packed with CD's - all are in the jewel boxes, no finish in the drawer at all.

When they upgraded their bathrooms and I built two vanities for them, I bought drawers and fronts from Scherr's; all arrived assembled and pre-finished, per our spec.

So, either way is fine. Sorry to be ambivalent, but there's no clear right/wrong answer. Ultimately, do what makes you happiest; it's one of the benefits of being the Chief Builder.

Cheers,

Seth

Lee Schierer
01-29-2010, 2:43 PM
If you can see the drawer at all when it is closed then I would stain it. I made an entertainment center this past year with a pullout for the electronics and I stained all of it, because you could see portions when the electronics were installed. I also stained the insides of the cabinet that could be seen if the sliding doors were opened.http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120297&d=1244642872

Some folks don't finish drawers in dressers and such. Personally I finish all my drawers no matter what they will hold inside and out. The wood color stays nice for years and years that way and there is no chance of snagging delicate fabrics on wood grain. I use Deft Clear wood finish and even though it has an odor, it goes away in few weeks and doesn't stain or leave lingering smell in the clothes.

Jeff Monson
01-29-2010, 4:32 PM
I'm with Lee on this, i am a drawer finisher also, inside and out, they just look so much nicer and will never show dirt over the years. Everyones arguement is about finish gasing, everything I have sprayed or brushed has gone away as Lee stated in a few weeks.