PDA

View Full Version : Beal polishing system

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 9:25 AM
I've been using the Beal polishing system to shine up some projects. Have had a bit of trouble with the white diamond step though. It seems to not come off the wood like it should. I'm pretty sure I'm not loading the buffer with to much as I only touch the stick to the buffer for about 1-2 seconds.

This seems to be a problem with mostly oak and pecan. I'm guessing it's the type of wood and not the system (or the operator;) ) itself. Am I right?

Thanks.
Betsy

Jim Becker
10-22-2004, 9:54 AM
Many folks avoid using the white diamond step on darker woods that have an open pore structure. But also be sure you are only using a small mount of the abrasive on the wheel...to coin an old advertising phrase, "A little dab 'l do ya".

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 1:20 PM
Many folks avoid using the white diamond step on darker woods that have an open pore structure. But also be sure you are only using a small mount of the abrasive on the wheel...to coin an old advertising phrase, "A little dab 'l do ya".
Thanks Jim - I was wondering how many folks actually go to that last step. I try to only touch the compound to the wheel for a second or two - perhaps that's even to much. I've definetly learned to not use it on oak or pecan. I've not tried it on walnut - but think I'll stop at the second wheel.

Thanks again.
Betsy

Bob Smalser
10-22-2004, 1:56 PM
I find that a fresh, clean stitched muslin wheel on the 8" buffer followed by a clean loose muslin wheel work well without any tripoli or white rouge on them.

Frankly, I find cleaning the gunk off the wood to be difficult...and as you've found out, some polishes never come out of some woods.