PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Curve Tool

Mike Cutler
01-28-2010, 7:35 PM
I need some recommendations from folks that use these.
I need to transfer the curve( radius) from the front of the base of our shower to the new tiles that will be installed in front of the shower on the floor.
I need a very accurate curve across 5 tiles. This will be a very visible line, so it needs to be spot on.

I'm looking for a good one.

Thank you

Mike

Mac McQuinn
01-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Mike,
Check out your local Drafting/blueprint supply or Art store. If no luck get on Amazon.com & look for "Flexible curve". There are plenty of different models, lengths & brands on there, I like the Staedtler brand.

Mac

Paul Atkins
01-29-2010, 1:18 AM
I would rough cut a template close to the profile and use a pencil to scribe a line. You should be very close with this.

Chris Kennedy
01-29-2010, 9:23 AM
What kind of length would you need? Lee Valley has a couple of drawing bows that might work.

Chris

Prashun Patel
01-29-2010, 9:33 AM
You don't need a curve drawing tool like a fairing stick or draw bow. You need a scribe.

Line up your tiles appropriately spaced square to the shower base, and then use something like this:

http://www.m-powertools.com/products/perfect-butt/perfect-butt.htm

You can make your own version of this for wider scribes by cutting a circular disc out of plywood and drilling a hole in the center for a pencil.

Dave Johnson29
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I need to transfer the curve( radius) from the front of the base of our shower to the new tiles that will be installed in front of the shower on the floor.

Simple and free. Cardboard carton flap.

Line it up with a straight edge on the wall or floor. Mark around the curve about an inch out with a pencil. Cut that out, push it forward and mark again. Repeat until you are close enough to covering the entire curve.

Trim it carefully, sanding with #80 paper until you have the perfect fit. Transfer to the tiles with a sharpie.

Mike Cutler
01-29-2010, 7:47 PM
I think the reason I like to ask "How to" questions here is because I get so many answers/techniques/tips that I never even thought of.

Thank you all, I think I know how to do it now. I'm fairly certain I'll be making a marking disc like Shawn linked to and using it with a Template as others have suggested.
It's going to be a beautiful edge!

Michael Weber
02-04-2010, 1:18 PM
If you use the disk thingy to copy the radius won't the copied radius be larger than the original? Watched Tom Silva scribe to a radius using a compass and he pointed out the compass must be held in the same direction (tangent to the start position) as it goes around the item to be copied. If the compass direction is moved around the radius you end up with just a larger copy of the original. I didn't explain the clearly but maybe someone else can.

Keith Outten
02-04-2010, 2:04 PM
Consider using a piece of solder, it bends easily into any complex shape and it cheap.

Mike Cutler
02-04-2010, 6:21 PM
Consider using a piece of solder, it bends easily into any complex shape and it cheap.

Oh,,,,, now that's not fair. That's too easy, but I 'm already done.
I have a lot of solder at hand. I can't believe I didn't think of that.:o

Michael, you are correct in that the radius of the disk would have increased the pattern. I got it close and then inserted a felt tip marker into an old bandsaw guide bearing. It had a really nice .250 radius from marker tip to bearing outer edge. it marked the tile really well.

Solder... I still can't believe I didn't see that one. I'm going to remember that one. Great solution Keith. I bet it would be really handy as a profile gauge for just about any woodworking project to transfer and edge pattern. ;)

Jay Jolliffe
02-05-2010, 6:16 AM
Now you have to cut the tiles. Have fun with that. A wet saw doesn't cut curves. You'll have a lot of freehand work.

Keith Outten
02-05-2010, 6:24 AM
Using a piece of solder is an old pipefitters tip. They use solder to capture angles for bending pipe and to help as a visual aid when you have to make multiple bends. Capturing an angle or a radius can be done from the edge or centerline of the pipe depending on the need. Very handy for working in tight spaces where measuring instruments are too large to fit.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2010, 4:29 PM
I imagine you'd want some fairy largish diameter solder for this idea? I guess you can play with it at the h/w store to see how well it bends/holds its shape. I'll have to pick up a roll some time...sweet idea!

Mike Cutler
02-05-2010, 5:11 PM
I imagine you'd want some fairy largish diameter solder for this idea? I guess you can play with it at the h/w store to see how well it bends/holds its shape. I'll have to pick up a roll some time...sweet idea!

Chris.

We end up with a lot of left over solder at work, all types and sizes. Some is pretty exotic and has a very limited use. Once were done, the product loses it's certification and just cannot be used indiscriminately in another quality application.
Unfortunately, the way business works out, it is cheaper to dispose of it rather than try to store it in such a manner that it maintains it's quality attributes. Sometimes the initial vendor will change the spec's over time and the solder used 10 years ago is no longer certified for that application.

The world of nuclear power can be a little weird at times.;)

Mike