PDA

View Full Version : Cake topper

Steven Wallace
01-28-2010, 7:17 PM
I have a great baker that uses my Toppers for her custom cakes. Here is a picture of the latest creations. Harley Davidson it a trademark of the Harley Davidson company. The recipient of the cake was turning 70.

Tom Bull
01-28-2010, 7:42 PM
Very cool. I did one for my neice's wedding, looked great, but no Harley flames.

Steve Clarkson
01-28-2010, 8:39 PM
Steven......that's AWESOME!

Please tell us how you made it.....I see clear and black acrylic......where did you get that orange? Did you inlay the white acrylic letters? Did you dream up that design?

Very impressive!

Steven Wallace
01-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Silver mirror acrylic for the HD emblem, reversed etched and backside painted black. Attached the emblem to the black 70 numbers with the slightly enlarged bar and shield. HD emblem attached with double sided tape. Flames made out of orange acrylic and placed behind the black numerals. Then a slightly enlarged flame shape layer of gold mirror behind the orange flames. The three layers have locating tabs that mate to 2 rectangular holes in a 1/4" piece of clear acrylic. Yes, it is was my own design based on the elements of the customer requested.

Steve Clarkson
01-29-2010, 7:27 AM
It was a great design....thanks for the explanation.

Steven Wallace
01-29-2010, 8:01 AM
Steve thanks for your kind comments. If you look closely at the bottom of the 7 and the 0 you can barely tell where the locating or alignment tabs went through the clear acrylic. I have made other toppers for this customer but this is the first time that she has asked for one that once removed from the cake could be used as a memento that could be placed on a desk or shelve in an office. That was the reason for the clear base. What was amazing to me was I had no idea of how she intended to mount it to the cake or even how the cake would be constructed. My design was strictly based on a list of few elements and use my imagination. I think her trust in me turned out to be okay as her customer was totally blown away with the cake.

Scott Challoner
01-29-2010, 9:21 AM
Very cool. Good job Steven.

Anthony Welch
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Great job of mixing substrates and design concept.

Anthony