PDA

View Full Version : Dyed piece w/ Acrylic Finial

Ken Glass
01-28-2010, 7:03 PM
Hey Gang,
I need your advice. I am trying to get ready for an upcoming Art Show on Feb. 5th. This piece is way outside my comfort zone, and I need to have your opinions on it. I have time to make some changes to it, if necessary. Originally the finial was to have a bigger top, but a mental lapse with my detail gouge took most of the end off. I made what was left work as good as I could. I have another piece of Acrylic, but hesitate using it as I have another use in mind for it and I had to order this one from CA. This is a piece of Pecan and it is dyed with Apple Green and Teal Dye. The Finial is Acrylic, sanded to 600 and buffed. The finish on the lid and base is Gloss Lacquer. I have about 23 other pieces ready for the show so this is not a must use.
So----Use it as is, remake it or burn pile? (I wish to give credit to Steve S for his dyed pieces and his Acrylic Finial on his judged piece. Thanks, Steve.)

Sorry for the Red background, It was the only one that showed the finial.

Steve Mawson
01-28-2010, 7:16 PM
Ken,
Not too wild about the color which you did not ask about-sorry just my opinion. However the rest of the piece I like. Finial and shape of the piece are good, finish as well. I assume you are going to take a pict of the final set up with all pieces for the art show??? Just cause I would like to see it all.:D:D

Baxter Smith
01-28-2010, 7:27 PM
Like the shape and the finish looks good. The pecan is different.:)

Donny Lawson
01-28-2010, 7:27 PM
I think it's a very nice piece.What would a piece like that sell for?, if I may ask?Don't change a thing.
Donny

charlie knighton
01-28-2010, 7:59 PM
the final will get you a second look, very nice

Ron Erickson
01-28-2010, 8:23 PM
I have not turned Acrylic but to me the top of the finial is the right size but the bottom bulb, of the finial is to large for that size hollow form. Nice over all shape. Ron

John Keeton
01-28-2010, 8:39 PM
I love the overall form, but do think the bulbous portion of the finial is a little large - but, it still works.

I don't care for the green, but then, I don't like much that is green....oh, except foldin' money!!:D I think the pecan would have shown well on its own.

David E Keller
01-28-2010, 8:47 PM
I like the finial and the wooden form, but I agree with the others about the black portion of the lid... It seems to dominate the piece visually. I think the color is interesting, and it's certainly unusual which is probably a good thing for show purposes. Pecan is a very plain wood sometimes, so the color gives it a little something extra.

I agree with Steve... pictures of the entire collection would be fantastic.

Good luck with the show.

Dennis Ford
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I like it, I agree that the bulb portion of the finial could be slimmer, it might be a problem with a dark finial but the transparent finial looks good with a little extra mass. My suggestion is to keep this one as is, put it in the show and see how it is received there.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Ken - that is pretty cool! Way to jump out there and try something different! This is nice work and should be able to get into the show as is - but you asked for opinions.... and there never seems to be a shortage of those here on the Creek!

While I will agree with a few that the bulbous portion of your finial could be slightly slimmer - it really depends more on function than anything else. Is the finial a decorative finial or is it a functional knob to lift a lid? If it is more of a knob - then leave it as is.

I do like the basic form of the finial and you have the height right for the size of the hollow form. Nice job on sanding and buffing it clear! Really cool when it starts to look like liquid!

Not 100% sure about the dark wood in the lid. I feel it competes with the piece for attention and somewhat negates the wonderful effect of your clear finial.

So, depending on whether the finial is glued in or not.... you have opinions should you decide to try any changes.

Best of luck getting into the show!

Ken Glass
01-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Steve,
Yes it is a knob to lift the lid. The show is an Art Walk downtown on Feb. 5th. I will be the featured artist. My work will be on display for a month until next months show. I have 23-24 pieces to show and hopefully sell, and I have 25-30 Wine Stoppers also ready that always seem to go well.

Well, I have already started to rework this one. I think that the buffed finish on the Finial is way too bright and does not show it well. I also think the finial would have looked better had I been able to keep the top intact. I also believe as some have said, that the color combination is not the right choice. I have made some radical changes already just now, and when I finish it tomorrow, I will post the transformation. I really did want to know how it might be received and this is the best place to get honest opinions. Thanks Gang.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Ken can't wait to see the transformation. Most pretty basically summed my thoughts.

Ken Glass
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Well Gang,
Here is my transformation . I re-sanded the finial to better show it. I took a lot of suggestions and added the feature acrylic accent ring to break up the form a little. It has no finish of any kind as of yet. It is dyed a flat black and I like it that tone, but it is not practical to leave it because it shows finger prints really bad, so I will most likely put a very low satin or flat finish on it. I am ready for your comments, again, so let-er rip.....

Bob Bergstrom
01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Boy, does it pay to listen to the advice on this site. Great job of reworking the piece. Like all the changes. Put it up on the shelf and enjoy!!

Ron Bontz
01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Ken, I did not care for the color of the first post but I think the background played a large part in it. The second definitely has a different personality. Richer looking IMHO. I am just a hack but my eyes know what I like when I see it. Beautiful work as always. Where is this art show? I go up to the Quincy area from time to time. Relatives up there. Would love to see some of this work up close. Live and learn.:)

Ken Glass
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Ron,
Its on the square uptown in Jacksonville, Feb. 5th from 5-8 PM. I will be showing at Cheryl Kelley's Studio on the south/ west side. I am told that night, its not so much about sales as exposure, but Cheryl says the rest of the month of Feb. should be great. There is wine and hor d'ors . My work will be on display for the whole month.

Thom Sturgill
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Ken, I wasn't too wild about the original treatment, but this is a real winner now.

David E Keller
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow... I love it now. The detail on the lid breaks it up as you said, and that really works for me. The lid and base flow nicely now. Great job.

charlie knighton
01-29-2010, 2:27 PM
very nice form, its probably just me but with the acrylic and black finish i lose the sense of wood

Michael Jasani
01-29-2010, 3:30 PM
thats a great transformation. I like the finial and agree with Charlie Knighton that it will get you second looks.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2010, 5:51 PM
Wow - very nice transformation Ken! Make sure you put a nice price on it cause it's gonna move real fast!

Just a suggestion for a final finish - use either poly or lacquer and once it is dry - scuff it up with some scratch pads or a real high grit sanding sponge. That way it retains the color but eliminates the gloss look. That is assuming you wanted it to remain a flat finish.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing the updated version!

John Keeton
01-29-2010, 6:29 PM
YES!!!!
I really like the changes! Very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2010, 7:55 PM
Yes Ken that is a beauty. That thing now has the Wow factor.

Ken Glass
01-29-2010, 9:25 PM
Steve,
I just ordered some flat lacquer rather than take a chance on scuffing through the finish by sanding after after I put a satin lacquer finish on it.

Gang,
Thanks for the comments. Its always knowing you'll get real honest comments that keep most of us posting and striving to do better work. Its much appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2010, 9:29 PM
Ken - not to change the subject but be sure to post some photos of your display for the art show. I know there are a lot of us that would appreciate seeing your work in an artsy setting!

Have fun with it! Make sure you have lots of business cards!

Ken Glass
01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Steve,
I hope to take a lot of pictures and I know its going to be a lot of fun also. I am really looking forward to hearing how my work is received. Being on display in a high traffic area for a month can't hurt either. I will post some pictures here after the Art Walk.

Sid Matheny
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Sometime change IS good and this is one of them. I love it and think a soft finish will be even better.

Sid