PDA

View Full Version : Need help with velvet.

Richard McComas
01-28-2010, 4:39 PM
I'm making a rather large shadow box ) 33'' by 39''. I going to be a Hockey Jersey display case. The back of the box is going to be covered with a blue velvet. Never have done the velvet thing before I looking for advice, tip, or instruction on how to glue this velvet to a 1/4'' piece of plywood.

Lee Schierer
01-28-2010, 4:47 PM
Double sided tape is your friend for this. Or a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive (7 Ounces) - 777. http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrievalAPI/BlobServlet?locale=en_US&lmd=1140207825000&assetId=1114284301696&assetType=MMM_Image&blobAttribute=ImageFile Spray it on let it set for a minute or two and apply your cloth. It is sort of like contact cement, but you only apply it to the wood. Once the cloth touches it will be stuck. You'll need a friend to help pull out the wrinkles as you adjust the cloth before it touches the glue. Make sure all the glue has set with particular attention to any thick spots so it doesn't soak through your cloth.

Ken Shoemaker
01-28-2010, 5:21 PM
+1 - works great. Don't put it on to thick....

george wilson
01-28-2010, 7:04 PM
When I had to make 2 boxes for Queen Elizabeth's visit to Williamsburg,and William and Mary College last year,I used COTTON velvet. I needed to avoid off-gassing as the boxes contained silver and gold(gold doesn't tarnish,but silver does).

I just glued the velvet in with white glue. I've also made dueling pistol boxes lined with green broadcloth-pool table cloth-and glued the cloth down the same way.

Joe Shinall
01-28-2010, 7:22 PM
I use to build speaker boxes for custom cars out of mdf and a lot of times we used velvet, leather, suede, or vinyl to cover the boxes to match the interiors. And of course speaker box carpet. Always used the 3M spray glue mentioned above. Just don't put it on too thick and make sure it's an even coat. Wait a couple minutes as mentioned and then bond together and use a paint roller or whatever you have to smooth it out. Simple and cheap!

kenneth kayser
01-28-2010, 8:15 PM
If possible, I would pull it tight over the back and staple. Or, you might try using hide glue, letting it dry then ironing the fabric as you soften the glue. You might also want to "crinkle" the fabric. Put on some white glue, let it get tacky (or use a tacking type glue) and just ruffle-up the fabric to give a softer look.

kenneth kayser
01-28-2010, 8:23 PM
velvet and hockey don't seem to go together. Have you considered burlap? another choice might be masonite with the backside out and painted flat black. Leather or simulated leather (vinyl) might look nice. I would also consider natural wood. If the jersey is light use dark wood like walnut, cherry, dark stained oak with a light frame. If the jersey is light, vice versa.

Lewis Cobb
01-31-2010, 5:36 PM
Double sided tape is your friend for this. Or a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive (7 Ounces) - 777. http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrievalAPI/BlobServlet?locale=en_US&lmd=1140207825000&assetId=1114284301696&assetType=MMM_Image&blobAttribute=ImageFile Spray it on let it set for a minute or two and apply your cloth. It is sort of like contact cement, but you only apply it to the wood. Once the cloth touches it will be stuck. You'll need a friend to help pull out the wrinkles as you adjust the cloth before it touches the glue. Make sure all the glue has set with particular attention to any thick spots so it doesn't soak through your cloth.

Just came across this thread and it caught my eye as I am planning to make some 2'x2' panels of 1/4" MDF with velvet on them. My application will have the panels "upside down". Do you fellows think this glue will stand up over time to prevent the velvet from dropping away from the mdf due to gravity? I plan on running some tests but figured I'd toss the question up here in case anyone has had this issue.

Thanks !
Lewis

Richard McComas
02-01-2010, 3:36 AM
Since I started this thread I have found out that the picture framing industry uses a product called "velvetized mat board". I have found a place in Anchorage that is supposed have this product. I'll report back on my finding if anyone is interested.

Lewis Cobb
02-01-2010, 8:07 AM
Since I started this thread I have found out that the picture framing industry uses a product called "velvetized mat board". I have found a place in Anchorage that is supposed have this product. I'll report back on my finding if anyone is interested.

Sounds good - look forward to hearing about any discoveries :)
Thanks,
Lewis

Jim Eller
02-01-2010, 7:43 PM
I don't know if this will work for you but I have had great success with it in boxes. Always looks like a perfect cut in the corners. When people ask how I cut it so perfect, I tell them it's a production secret.:D

http://www.donjer.com/suedetex/product.htm