PDA

View Full Version : Bought my fist plane... Comments Please

Matt Sauber
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
So I was strolling the isles of my local antique mall on a scouting mission just to see what neander tools are available in my area off the shelf. And, by the way, I now understand how this can become such a serious addiction. As I walked by each booth, I seemed to get better and better at seeing the handle of an old wrench poking out of a box on the bottom shelf or a brace or saw handle just peeking through some other rubbish begging me to come take a closer look. I started developing an extrasensory perception for locating tool rust amongst the periphery. Good thing I only had two antique malls to look through, otherwise I might have overdosed. Anyways, I was not really planning on buying anything - until I saw it. I hadn't seen many tools at all in any other booths before this one. A Stanley No.8. I had remembered the price tag on other No.8's on the interweb being in the $150-$250 range and the measly $40 tag on this plane sent thoughts through my head of flipping this plane, buying more tools, flipping some of those, buy more tools, flipping... And my addiction is self sustaining! I bought the plane, took it home for further examination after I came down off my high. Funny how things change; instead of seeing the good, I saw the bad: broken and poorly repaired tote, screw on the toe of the tote not original, rust all over, chip in the lever cap, no sweetheart where I think there should be one. I am starting to think this wasn't the diamond in the rough after all. Well, enough of my rambling. What do you all think of my first purchase? I believe it's a type 12 (three patent dates and large depth adjustment knob) with the aforementioned ailments. Was it a fair price at $40?

James Taglienti
01-28-2010, 10:28 AM
shoot for forty bucks you can't go wrong, you could put it on the internet today and make 60-75 ... i think you did great... an 8 is a strange choice for a first plane but it looks like the plane chose YOU not the other way around. let us know when you get it working!

David Gilbert
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I will be happy to take it off your hands for $40. I think the price is cheap and a very reasonable buy.

The value of any tool is only realized when you use it to make something. I don't collect tools that I don't use but I collect everything that I think I will use. If you rehab this No. 8 and put it to the use it was intended then I think your $40 is a bargain. If it sits on your bench taking up valuable space then you spent too much.

What is the bottom of the plane like? The photo makes it appear that there are lines running the length of the plane. Could the corregations have been ground off? That would be a lot of work. Regarding flattening the sole of these long planes. Chris Schwarz at the Valley Forge Woodworking in America said that he wouldn't buy old jointer planes and rehab them because they were too hard to true up and way too much work. Because of the work, he indicated that jointers were probably the only planes that he would consider buying new.

Cheers,
David

Zach England
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I flatten long planes with mirka adhesive sandpaper--the kind that comes on a roll. I affix it to a wing of my jointer.

jerry nazard
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
The photos look good. I'd venture that you have a $40 gloat on your hands. I would sharpen the blade and take some shavings. If you find that the sole is not OK, you could have it machined. Remember that the sole DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECTLY FLAT, just coplanar at toe, mouth, and heel.

You did good!

Almost forgot, check out Jim's thread on rehabbing a No.7 at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

Sam Takeuchi
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I think it's just tarnish mark or oxidation mark on the sole. If you grind off corrugation from the sole, there is not much sole left.

I think you did a great buy. Personally I'm not into #8, so I would have passed it, but if you like #8, that is a splendid value. And you know what? I don't see the bad. So what the screw isn't original? Sweetheart logo'ed plane is just a perceived value. I like type 9 - 11, so for me, this one is great. And where is this rust you speak of? If you are talking about that blacky tarnish on the surface, that's 100 years of air, moisture, hand gunk and all that coming together. That's what makes plane look like it has lived through the time. If it was shinny and new like, well, it looks like someone spent time getting gunk and tuning it up. Which is ok, but I like a bit of authoritative look on a plane. People call it patina. I call it good black stuff.

Oh, that adjuster wheel look like small one. So it could be type 11, except the knob is tall. Either way, somewhere around that ball park. If you wanted shiny one, sell it and buy a shiny one brand new or one that's already tuned up. Otherwise, I see nothing you should be ashamed about.

P.S. If you are intending to do small projects, it's bit too large of a plane, though.

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't have paid $40 for it, but I'm a silly cheapskate in that department. I don't see anything major wrong that would keep you from turning it into an excellent user, but then I'm really good at collecting hand plane to refurb and not yet getting to any of them:D.

harry strasil
01-28-2010, 1:02 PM
If you look too hard and intense you will never find anything, its when you are just killing time or hurrying thru that you find the right stuff.

And a tool doesn't have to be perfect to use, perfect is for collectors who generally just want something perfect to show off.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2010, 4:12 PM
So I was strolling the isles of my local antique mall on a scouting mission just to see what neander tools are available in my area off the shelf. And, by the way, I now understand how this can become such a serious addiction. As I walked by each booth, I seemed to get better and better at seeing the handle of an old wrench poking out of a box on the bottom shelf or a brace or saw handle just peeking through some other rubbish begging me to come take a closer look. I started developing an extrasensory perception for locating tool rust amongst the periphery. Good thing I only had two antique malls to look through, otherwise I might have overdosed. Anyways, I was not really planning on buying anything - until I saw it.

Yep, either you are a natural or the bug bit you extra hard.

I hadn't seen many tools at all in any other booths before this one. A Stanley No.8. I had remembered the price tag on other No.8's on the interweb being in the $150-$250 range and the measly $40 tag on this plane sent thoughts through my head of flipping this plane, buying more tools, flipping some of those, buy more tools, flipping... And my addiction is self sustaining!

I would have likely torn my pants getting my wallet out of my pocket. One of my best deals was a #8 for $50, so you beat me and here is the traditional, YOU SUCK!
Yep, already having a #8 would not stop me on this deal. I have never seen one properly presented going that cheap on eBay and most likely, you can list it right hear on SMC for $60-80 plus shipping and make someone else very happy.
You should try to make sure the toe screw is a 12-20 or did not mess up the threads in the casting. Also mention this if you decide to sell. The size and thread should be the same as the screws holding the frog. I have used a frog screw in the past and just filed the head round. A little funky but it works and frog screws are easy and cheap to find. PM me if you need one.

I bought the plane, took it home for further examination after I came down off my high. Funny how things change; instead of seeing the good, I saw the bad: broken and poorly repaired tote, screw on the toe of the tote not original, rust all over, chip in the lever cap, no sweetheart where I think there should be one. I am starting to think this wasn't the diamond in the rough after all. Well, enough of my rambling. What do you all think of my first purchase? I believe it's a type 12 (three patent dates and large depth adjustment knob) with the aforementioned ailments. Was it a fair price at $40?

Poorly repaired totes can be fixed or replaced. What mark is on the blade?
I am with Sam, the adjuster wheel looks to be a 1 inch and not the 1-1/4 inch. That would make this a late type 11.

If you use it, this will be a great beginning on your plane arsenal. If you decide to sell it, it will likely prove to be a great investment. If you do want to sell it, list the defects and leave the fettling to the buyer. I bought a type 7 #7 and fettled it even though I had a type 11 #7 that was pretty much like it was when I bought it. That "train wreck" more like a fender bender #7 was my first all out fettle to the metal plane rehab. I ended up bonding with it and 2 #7s was one too many. I just couldn't pull the trigger on selling what had become part of me and was my go to #7. So, even though the newer #7 and I did have some good times together, it was sold off. I hope the buyer is as happy with it as I was. It was and hopefully still a good user.

jim

Richard Niemiec
01-28-2010, 4:37 PM
if you look too hard and intense you will never find anything, its when you are just killing time or hurrying thru that you find the right stuff.

And a tool doesn't have to be perfect to use, perfect is for collectors who generally just want something perfect to show off.

+1 . . . . . . . . . . .

Ray Gardiner
01-28-2010, 8:23 PM
I probably would have gone with a 4 or 5 as a first plane, just a bit more useful than an 8..

But, as implied in the word "first", you already understand that these things start breeding....

Welcome to the slope..

Regards
Ray

Alex Shanku
01-28-2010, 8:30 PM
I wish I would have found a 7 or 8 to start with.

I find my 7 much more useful than my 4 or 5.

jerry nazard
01-28-2010, 8:53 PM
I probably would have gone with a 4 or 5 as a first plane, just a bit more useful than an 8..

But, as implied in the word "first", you already understand that these things start breeding....

Welcome to the slope..

Regards
Ray

Breeding? Ray, that's a winner! Next time my wife comments on more planes in my shop, I'll just tell her that it's a "breeding thing". Now, if I mate two #4's, do I get a #2 or a #8....

Jim Koepke
01-29-2010, 2:07 AM
Breeding? Ray, that's a winner! Next time my wife comments on more planes in my shop, I'll just tell her that it's a "breeding thing". Now, if I mate two #4's, do I get a #2 or a #8....

Of course breeding. Someone mentioned that the planes in his shop were breeding like jack rabbits... And a new plane was born.

jim

Matt Sauber
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
What is the bottom of the plane like? The photo makes it appear that there are lines running the length of the plane. Could the corregations have been ground off?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I don't think this plane was corrugated by Stanley because the striations run all the way to the edge of the mouth and the Stanley corrugations stopped short on both sides of the mouth as well as the toe and heel of the sole. It MAY have been an attempt at some home-spun corrugations. The striations are not deep at all, though - just enough to be visible.

Jim Koepke
01-29-2010, 10:43 PM
The striations are not deep at all, though - just enough to be visible.

It may be were it sat for years in contact with another piece of metal. If the metals are dissimilar enough, dampness can cause electrolysis.

Look closely at the type 9 study variations at the plane on the left. You can see an out line on the frog left by the blade.

It means this plane, the #8, likely set on a piece of ribbed metal for a long long time.

jim