PDA

View Full Version : How slick should the router table top be?

Michael Drew
01-28-2010, 9:49 AM
Another stupid router table question…….

I grabbed a sheet of laminate at HD to cover the top/bottom of the router table top I’m putting together. They didn’t have the solid white in stock and I was in a hurry. I grabbed a sheet that had a pebbled off white multi flaked color to it. I actually thought it looked kinda nice for a shop table… Well, I just now realized that it has a pebbled finish to it along with the color. It’s not real rough, but it definitely is not as smooth as your typical solid colored laminate. If the hardware store wasn’t 300 miles away, I’d just take it back and get a smooth sheet, but now I’m trying to convince myself that this pebbled surface will be better. So far, my arguement is not very compelling.

So, once again, I come to you all asking for your input. I was on a mission to get this stupid table done today…. Dangit. What do you think? Should I just get some smooth laminate or does it really matter if it has a wee bit o’ texture to it?

Paul Greathouse
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
The laminate you have should work just fine. Try laying it out on a flat surface and slid some boards over it. If they move freely you should be OK.

Worst case senerio, if you put it on and after a while its not working out, all you have to do is rough up the surface with a sander and install a layer of slicker laminate over it. I've done that before on an old countertop and I didn't have a problem with the contact cement bonding.

Stephen Edwards
01-28-2010, 4:01 PM
I don't think that a wee bit of texture will hurt it at all. Put a good coat of furniture paste wax on it and go to work!

Bill Huber
01-28-2010, 4:20 PM
The texture, if flat will help reduce the friction, less surface.

Put it on and give it a good 2 coats of Johnson's Paste Wax and it will work great.

Michael Drew
01-28-2010, 4:43 PM
Thank you! I fell much mo' betta. :D

Myk Rian
01-28-2010, 5:47 PM
The texture will probably help. Less surface area, less friction.

Chip Lindley
01-28-2010, 5:55 PM
Michael, as long as you like the color, your laminate will work fine. As said, the pebble-grain actually has less friction than a smooth surface. *Slick* is only one consideration for a RT. *Flat* is as, or more important.

Back in the '80s, Woodsmith mag published plans for the first RT I had ever seen. It's surface was tempered hardboard (Masonite) Plenty smooth, yet not nearly as durable as laminate.