PDA

View Full Version : PRL-V2: Difference in Brand

don kellog
01-28-2010, 9:11 AM
I am set to order a PRL-V2 router lift, but am having a difficult time discovering the differences between the different branded models.
-- Incra's version is $299 and has metal magnetic rings.
-- Woodpeck's version is $329 and has molded twist lock rings.
Are there any other differences that I am not seeing? I can not see any reason not to go with the Incra version. (I realize there may be available discounts for both, which will maintain the same seperation.)
Thanks, Don

Paul Dell'Anno
01-28-2010, 9:30 AM
I went through the same dilemma a few months back. Aside from the difference in the rings (magnetic vs twist) the Woodpecker version comes in two size top plates. One is for the Benchdog router top, which has a smaller size plate opening. I had to go with the woodpecker version for that reason. Not realing that there was a size difference, I actually initially purchased the Incra lift. When it arrived and I went to install it, it was too big. The lift is a wonderful addition to the shop.

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2010, 9:42 AM
I've had a V2 since they came out - great lift. Mine came with aluminum rings. What's up with the new plastic ones?

Derek Gilmer
01-28-2010, 9:52 AM
My opinion would be go with Incra. Mainly because of the bad luck I had with my woodpecker plunge lift. When I got it it was missing the spanner wrench, speed crank, had the wrong router mounting screws and was missing the bolt to attach the screw post to the router.

Of course I discovered this at three different times. I noticed the spanner/crank when I opened the package. I called woodpecker and they sent ones out with in a week. However it was a month before I could start mounting everything so I didn't notice the router base to plate screws were wrong until then. I called woodpecker and again I had the correct ones within a week. Then I noticed it was missing the bolt to hold the router to the screw post. I was sick of waiting and got one at home depot. The instructions sent were also for an older model of my router and weren't 100% correct. I've emailed woodpecker about all this and haven't heard anything back from them yet. In my world that is very poor customer service.

On the other hand I ordered an Incra 1000HD miter gauge and it is a dream. Everything was in the package, with very detailed instructions and links to videos about how to use the miter gauge. Incra's quality/packaging have definately won me over to them.

Greg Wittler
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
When I ordered mine last November I thought it was coming with Aluminum rings and they were plastic. I didn't realize that the Incra version had the Magnetic Plates, or I would have bought that one so there would be one less tool to lose. I am going to order the full phenolic set from Woodcraft

Greg

dave sandridge
01-29-2010, 5:13 PM
the woodpecker prl v2 is designed to fit in a hole with a rabbet around the entire circumference and has screws on the border to flush the plate with the table. The kreg lift has machine screw holes in the corners to attach it to the unique corner pieces of the kreg table that have two set screws and a threaded opening for the machine screws.

My woodpecker prl v2 vibrates in my kreg table with larger bits and I am considering putting holes in the corners to screw it in to decrease vibration. I love the lift. the brake eliminates bit movement from vibration.

I ordered the woodpecker because was cheaper and no backorder not realizing that it differed from the incra.

Dan Schmidt
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I am interested in the Incra lift since I love the idea of the magnetic rings - especially since you can only get plastic ring set now. Woodcraft doesn't sell the aluminum ones anymore. :mad:

However, I have a Benchdog cast iron table with insert opening of 8-1/4" x 11-3/4". Woodpecker makes the same lift for this insert opening (benchdog version), but I was really hoping to get the Magnalock magnetic ring feature on the Incra.

I wrote Incra but so far no reply. Anyone know if they make Benchdog version?