PDA

View Full Version : LN Jack Rabbet plane

Don Dorn
01-28-2010, 9:01 AM
Does anyone here have, or know anyone that has a Lie-Nielsen 10 1/4 Jack Rabbet plane? I have a decent Jack, but I have always wanted one of these that can obviously double as a Jack - and frankly am trying to talk myself into it. I want to learn to raise panels by hand and know that these are a valuable tool in that respect.

Unfortunately, in searching Google, I can't really find any reviews and unless I could find a Record on Ebay, the only other option is Anant - of which I would rather spend the extra and have the better plane. Anyway - any input would be appreciated.

Robert Rozaieski
01-28-2010, 9:40 AM
These planes really can't, or at least shouldn't, double as a jack plane, unless you buy & grind a spare iron for it for the different tasks. A rabbet plane and a jack plane are two different animals. A jack plane would be ground/honed with a cambered iron, used for removing stock from the face or edge of a board. A rabbet plane should be ground/honed with a dead straight iron because it is used for making joinery and other straight fillets. For raising panels, you want a straight iron to create a flat bevel. For planing the face of a board, that same straight iron will only leave deep scratches that you will then need to remove with another plane, therefore, you want the cambered iron.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Don,

You may be able to save a lot of money and have fun at the same time. Look for an old wooden skewed blade rabbet plane. I picked one up that is almost a full 2 inches wide for $20 at an antique store and have used it a bit with great pleasure. I was thinking of angling the bottom, but it works so well as is, I am going to keep an eye open to find a few more for making into panel raisers and dovetail planes.

I also picked up a 1 inch wide model but haven't spent much time with it.

As I recall, they are both made by Ohio Tools.

jim

Tri Hoang
01-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Besides the cambering issue, I would also be concerned about the integrity of the sides when using it to hog off lots of wood as in a normal jack plane.

James Taglienti
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
that plane was originally made by stanley for cutting deep rabbets and rabbets in corners. the spurs are certainly a neat feature for cross grain work. tilting knob and handle for working into corners would be cool for building large scale stuff like carriages or boats, anything where the part is put into place and then worked. i would absolutely love to have this plane just for the coolness factor. i think it would raise a great panel- does lie-nielsen offer a fence for it?

Sean Hughto
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a Stanley 10. I've used only occassionally. It strikes me as a plane that would have been well suited to finish carpenters years ago where making stairs, window moldings, baseboards, etc., one often needed to make long rabbets of various sorts was demanded. It's not a bad plane to have, but it's not one that seems especially useful to a furniture builder.

Don Dorn
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks all for the feedback - you've definately given me pause on this. I'll look into the Ohio Tool option.

Don

David Gendron
01-28-2010, 11:40 PM
If you want a plane to raised panel, why not buying a panel raising plane? Double duty tools, they usualy do ok work on both task but not great on any task!!
Just my $0.02
Like Jim suggested, a large rabbet plane would be a good option!

Zach England
01-29-2010, 8:37 AM
With the tilting knob/tote, do they "lock" into position, or are they constantly movable? I was looking at one on the LN site and am not sure I get exactly how it is to be used.

David Cockey
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
The knob locks solidly. I have a LN 10 1/4 and the knob has never moved while using it.