PDA

View Full Version : High School Students made Steady Rest

steven carter
01-28-2010, 8:27 AM
This is a steady rest the high school students in metal shop made for me. It was a good project for them and a great steady rest for me. They did a great job! A big thank you to Jeff Nicol for providing me with great detail pictures and information on getting materials and making it!

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Baxter Smith
01-28-2010, 8:42 AM
That looks real nice!

Chris Haas
01-28-2010, 9:33 AM
good use of the high school metal shop, most people forget they are around. very nice indeed

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2010, 9:40 AM
Looks like they did a real good job! Bet it was fun because it was different than the normal projects for them!

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Great looking rest. They did a nice job.

Mike Cross
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
They did a great job. Is the round portion some sort of flange? where did you find it? I am wanting to build one also.

Mike

Rich Aldrich
01-28-2010, 8:15 PM
That is a nice steady rest. It looks like they used an angle face ring and welded the square tubing to it. Great idea.

It looks like it is a 16" angle face ring if your lathe is a Jet 1642.

An angle face ring is a rolled piece of angle that is used in conjuction with a back up flange for piping joints. We use it in the paper mill on pipe anywhere from 3" to 30 inch diameter. This is available in standard IPS (iron pipe sizes) from any piping supply house like Furgeson, etc or McMaster Carr (they seem to have everything).