PDA

View Full Version : Another Train Wreck...

Jim Koepke
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
You want to close your eyes, but you just have to look.

With the shipping listed and the starting price, this one should even be abandoned by its mother.

Ebay item #270521771518 looks like even the screws are bad. Especially the one at the toe of the tote.

Maybe there is a little redemption in the sole?

The frog is broken, there is a chip in the lever cap. The blade does not have an image, but why should that be OK?

jim

David Gendron
01-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow How bad can it realy be? Is the sole some kind of corugation? Was that from the factory?

Jim Koepke
01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't think the factory ever did that to any of their planes.

I have heard mention of such being done by local blacksmiths or early machinist that did not understand the idea of a corrugated sole.

jim

Ray Gardiner
01-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Maybe it's one of these, that Patrick Leach refers to in B&G

"And now for something completely different....
I once was invited over to a woodworker's shop to look at some tools that he wanted to sell. The fellow didn't have much, just a few newer tools from that tool company in England that is still making pitiful copies of Stanley's bench planes. However, the fellow did have several original Stanleys with soles the likes of which I've never seen before or since. Each sole had a series of 1" wide (roughly) cutouts, dados, if you will, that spanned the width of the sole spread along the length of the sole. In other words, the cutouts were parallel to the mouth! Amazed by what laid before my eyes, I asked the fellow what caused or what was the reason for this strange treatment. He told me that he had taken the planes to a local machinist and asked him to cut some corrugations into the soles since he had heard that corrugations help to make the plane perform better. For the first time in my life, I was left speechless, and could only muster an "Oh, I see" as an answer. The planes have since left his shop, so you folks out in western Massachusetts be careful out there while tool sleuthing. If you ever see one, and unknowingly buy it, I suppose you could always flip it over and use it as a boot scraper, or something like that. "

Might be a bit weird to use, easier to lap the sole flat?

Regards
Ray

Jim Koepke
01-28-2010, 1:21 AM

Regards
Ray

That is more lapping than a monk paying penance would ever have to do.

jim

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2010, 9:48 AM
Reminds me of that Mash Episode where Trapper has a pin stripe suit tailored for him by a local Korean tailor and he runs the stripes the wrong way...

"And now for something completely different....
I once was invited over to a woodworker's shop to look at some tools that he wanted to sell. The fellow didn't have much, just a few newer tools from that tool company in England that is still making pitiful copies of Stanley's bench planes. However, the fellow did have several original Stanleys with soles the likes of which I've never seen before or since. Each sole had a series of 1" wide (roughly) cutouts, dados, if you will, that spanned the width of the sole spread along the length of the sole. In other words, the cutouts were parallel to the mouth! Amazed by what laid before my eyes, I asked the fellow what caused or what was the reason for this strange treatment. He told me that he had taken the planes to a local machinist and asked him to cut some corrugations into the soles since he had heard that corrugations help to make the plane perform better. For the first time in my life, I was left speechless, and could only muster an "Oh, I see" as an answer. The planes have since left his shop, so you folks out in western Massachusetts be careful out there while tool sleuthing. If you ever see one, and unknowingly buy it, I suppose you could always flip it over and use it as a boot scraper, or something like that. "

Regards
Ray

James Taglienti
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Those lateral corrugations are extremely rare and completely uncollectable. i don't think there is a salvagable part on that plane? i'm pretty sure i could dig through my scrap heap and make a #5 that looks 10x better than that one.

jerry nazard
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
The lateral corrugations are for waste relief. Using a 200 psi air nozzle operating perpendicular to the travel of the plane, all waste is cleared from under the sole of the plane. I thought all of you would know that! ;)

Sam Takeuchi
01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I think adjuster wheel, yoke, adjuster bolt, knob bolt & nut can be salvaged. If anyone need those particular parts that is...

Paul Atkins
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Maybe you fill the grooves with wax to make it smoother. Maybe they are measurement marks. A combo ruler/plane.

Zach England
01-28-2010, 1:20 PM
Maybe you fill the grooves with wax to make it smoother. Maybe they are measurement marks. A combo ruler/plane.

I actually think that is sort of a good idea. I sometimes use a plane as a straight-edge when it is the closest thing handy.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2010, 3:43 PM
i don't think there is a salvagable part on that plane?

The frog screws and washers look to be OK.

I sometimes use a plane as a straight-edge when it is the closest thing handy.

This is common practice, but it is good to make sure the plane is worthy of this task before hand. After lapping the sides of a few, it is clear that some planes might be misleading the user in this area.

jim

James Taglienti
01-28-2010, 4:58 PM
well, i did it... i dug through the scrap heap and found not one but 4 #5's that i promptly put up for sale... let's see if that guy gets a bid before me :eek:

Eric Brown
01-30-2010, 6:02 AM
Spotted this on e-bay Item 200431732189

It is an unidentified woodworking or dairy tool. They are asking $2000.00
It's funny because in the description they say the price is unreasonable.

Enjoy. Eric

Jim Koepke
01-30-2010, 1:27 PM
It's funny because in the description they say the price is unreasonable.

Yeah, that is obvious, do they say what it is for?

Well no, they are trying to "fish" for information.

We could all send him different stories about how it is a laundry device my grandfather invented and sold two of them.

Or it could be a counter turn cream skimmer used with a DeVal cream separator south of the equator. Maybe they would give up after about 20 crazy emails.

Hey, it is the weekend and weekends were made for fun.

jim