PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired of sharpening

Dave Anderson NH
10-21-2004, 10:09 PM
It seems that in the last few days a bunch of you folks have been doing a bit of grousing about having to sharpen and about all the time it takes. It is just a necessary part of our shared hobby and for some of us it has almost become a separate hobby.:eek: Sometimes I even resemble that remark.:o

Unfortunately for you folks I'm fresh out of sympathy at the moment and neither of my shoulders is capable of taking the load of someone crying on them.:p :rolleyes: As the pictures below will show, I've been doing a bit of it myself in the last week or two. Before anyone asks, there are 128 blades there. Next time around I'm looking for volunteers, any takers?:D

The first shot is the blades after heat treating with rough ground bevels and tooling marks all over them.

The second shot is the batch after cleanup with every blade sharpened and honed.

Boy do I have sore hands at the moment.

Steve Clardy
10-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Looks like you have been busy over here on the other side of the curtain. That's a lot of hand work Dave. I am NOT envious.;)
I found Chris P. wandering around over here also. :eek:

Steve:)

Dennis McDonaugh
10-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Dave, I'd have thought you'd send those out to one of your subs ;)

John Miliunas
10-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey Dave, just think: All you've got left is to make 128 handles for those blades! :D Man, I do NOT envy you. That looks like a LOT of work! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2004, 4:34 AM
Dave.....you're the "sharpening" man!..........I'll bet you've got the process down pat by now! Looks like a lot of work!

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2004, 7:28 AM
Dennis- I don't use subs except for the turning of the brass hammer heads
and originally I even did those myself on a wood lathe. I prefer to
keep control of the quality and schedule of my own work and not
be dependant on anyone else. My volume is too small to be
attractive to any of the small machine or tool shops around here at
a price which is affordable.

John- I actually have a supply of handles on hand most of the time though
not enough for all 128 blades. I'll often go down to the shop in the
evening and turn half a dozen so that I get my turning fix. Handles
can be done easily in small numbers, but blades need large batches
to be processed efficiently.

Ken- I do have the process down pretty well except when I suffer a brain
cramp. On this batch I go so wrapped up in time management that I
hardened the blades before doing the inital cleanup of the rough
blanks. This oversight coast me about 6 hours. It's a lot easier to
do the abrasive cleanup before the steel is hardened. It was an
expensive lesson on why I need to review my process sheet before
beginning each new step. Memory just doesn't cut it.

Louis Bois
10-22-2004, 7:33 AM
128 double-beveled blades? that's essentially 256 blades to sharpen...and 128 handles to turn?!? That's an awful lot of chucking :eek:.

I'd like to be the first to thank you Dave, for thinking of us woodworkers...you know, the ones that joined SMC this year...the ones that you're making these wonderful marking knives for...for Christmas. Sorry if I spoiled the surprise!:D

I guess the REAL reason for this increase in production is that "thebestthings" has added "Chester Toolworks" products to their great line. Congratulations and don't let the hobby fall into tedium...your knives are among the best designed I've seen and I'm looking forward to your signed, anniversary editions!!!:)

I guess a batch of marking gages is next?!?

Ted Shrader
10-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Dave -

That's not very many. Can't imagine it took more than 15 or 20 minutes. :) :) :)

Despite the brain cramp, it looks like you were very efficient.
Ted

Chris Padilla
10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Sweet, Dave!! I forget if you have any threads on your sharpening process for your marking knives.

Wendell Wilkerson
10-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I think we can work out a deal if you want to sub out sharpening:

One for me, One for Dave,
Two for me, One for Dave,
Three for me, One for Dave, ......

:D :D :D :D :D

Keep up the good work. I love my snakewood marking knife.

Wendell

Bob Smalser
10-22-2004, 11:49 AM
It's the discipline bone I'm most impressed with.

Too much like work to do 128 knives in a run.

James Carmichael
10-22-2004, 3:03 PM
That should cure anybody who thinks it would be fun to make tools professionally. I've never shrunken from the sharpening stone, but 128 blades does not equate with pleasure.

Halsey MCCombs
10-22-2004, 4:01 PM
Dave you mean we can't send the knives back for free sharpening?hehe Halsey

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2004, 9:18 PM
Louis- Actually, my knives are now available from 3 sources: The Best Things, Tools for Working Wood, and Knight Toolworks. As for marking gages, I've been struggling for months over how to improve my design to increase functionality but still retain the mostly wooden and 18th century flavor. So far I haven't achieved a solution which pleases me so any released product is still a ways away. Christmas presents? We just had christmas last year didn't we? :D

Chris- I'll try to put together an instruction sheet and a short informative post next week.

Bob- It's not discipline, 'cause I don't have any. It's pure Yankee pigheadedness, besides, it justed needed to get it done.

James- You're right, it noes not qualify as fun. It's my least favorite part of toolmaking. On the brighter side however, I sure get plenty of time to practice my sharpening technique.

Halsey- As a friend and member of our beloved NH guild, I'll only charge you three times what I'd charge the others.:D ;)

David Rose
10-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Dave, I promise to not cry on your shoulders. At least I hope not. :eek: You have a major job. With what do you do the major bevels? I still seek "the better way". :D

David

It seems that in the last few days a bunch of you folks have been doing a bit of grousing about having to sharpen and about all the time it takes. It is just a necessary part of our shared hobby and for some of us it has almost become a separate hobby.:eek: Sometimes I even resemble that remark.:o

Unfortunately for you folks I'm fresh out of sympathy at the moment and neither of my shoulders is capable of taking the load of someone crying on them.:p :rolleyes: As the pictures below will show, I've been doing a bit of it myself in the last week or two. Before anyone asks, there are 128 blades there. Next time around I'm looking for volunteers, any takers?:D

The first shot is the blades after heat treating with rough ground bevels and tooling marks all over them.

The second shot is the batch after cleanup with every blade sharpened and honed.

Boy do I have sore hands at the moment.