PDA

View Full Version : Search posts with .zip and .cdr attachments?

Joe Peacock
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Is it possible in the Engravers Forum to do a search for posts that have .cdr files attached to them? Same with posts that have .zip files attached?
What I am thinking here is that it would be neat if you could do a search that would "round up" all of the posts that have those great .cdr and .zip files everyone is so generous to offer and get them into one place to look at.
I have gone through 261 pages of the forum (only 75 more pages to go!) and I have copied the URL of the posts that have .cdr or zip files I might want in them and then named them in the subject line of the e-mail and e-mailed them to myself so that I can find them more conveniently later on with a search of my e-mail account. I am afraid I have missed some and I was wondering if a search like this was possible? If such a search is possible, what would be the mechanics of accomplishing this?
I think this would be very helpful to a lot of people if a way can be found to do it.
Thanks,
Joe

Keith Outten
01-28-2010, 7:30 AM
Joe,

To my knowledge vBulletin doesn't have a means of searching file attachments.

The only way I know of is to get a copy of our File Attachment DVD's.
This is a project I started months ago but haven't been able to find the time to review all of the files yet. There are currently over 95,000 file attachments or about 7.5 gigabytes of files.

I have them on a USB Drive that I carry with me to events and allow people to connect their laptops or to connect a thumb drive and copy. If you catch us at the IWF in August you will be able to get the files for free if you bring your own thumb drive or you can purchase the two DVD set for $29.95

Our file attachment archives are incredible, you won't believe what you will see. It is impossible to view all of the pictures and copy all of the zip files and other attachments from the front side of our Forums.

My plan is to offer annual updates each year for those who want to keep a complete library.

Joe Peacock
01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Joe,

To my knowledge vBulletin doesn't have a means of searching file attachments.

The only way I know of is to get a copy of our File Attachment DVD's.
This is a project I started months ago but haven't been able to find the time to review all of the files yet. There are currently over 95,000 file attachments or about 7.5 gigabytes of files.

I have them on a USB Drive that I carry with me to events and allow people to connect their laptops or to connect a thumb drive and copy. If you catch us at the IWF in August you will be able to get the files for free if you bring your own thumb drive or you can purchase the two DVD set for $29.95

Our file attachment archives are incredible, you won't believe what you will see. It is impossible to view all of the pictures and copy all of the zip files and other attachments from the front side of our Forums.

My plan is to offer annual updates each year for those who want to keep a complete library.
Do the DVD's contain files from all sections of the site, not just the engravers Forum? If yes, then are they in different folders for each sub section of the forum? How do we go about paying for them and getting our shipping info to you.
Joe

Dan Hintz
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
On that note, my wish has always been a full off-line compilation of every thread on the board. Last year I spent (literally) several months of 40-hr weeks reading every thread int he engraver's forum. I'd like to do the same for the woodworking forums, but doing it online is not always an ideal situation. A current snapshot of the entire forum on several DVDs would be AWESOME (if possible)!

Keith Outten
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Joe,

The DVD's contain every file attachment on The Creek up to the date we copied the files sometime this summer.

Files are stored in folders, one for each Forum and the file names include the owner of the file. This allows you to go to the Turners Folder and go down the list to Dave Anderson and quickly see all the pictures/files he has shared.

Dan, I doubt we will ever release the entire contents of The creek on disk. :)

Lee DeRaud
01-28-2010, 1:26 PM
Dan, I doubt we will ever release the entire contents of The creek on disk. :)Just for curiosity's sake, how much data is that? (I would think the attachments are way more than half of the total.)

Joe Peacock
01-28-2010, 8:01 PM
Joe,

The DVD's contain every file attachment on The Creek up to the date we copied the files sometime this summer.

Files are stored in folders, one for each Forum and the file names include the owner of the file. This allows you to go to the Turners Folder and go down the list to Dave Anderson and quickly see all the pictures/files he has shared.

Dan, I doubt we will ever release the entire contents of The creek on disk. :)
How do we go about buying the DVD's?
Joe

Mick A Martin
01-29-2010, 4:15 AM
If you catch us at the IWF in August you will be able to get the files for free if you bring your own thumb drive.

That's one more thing to add to my list to bring to IWF, look forward to seeing you there Keith.

Mick

Keith Outten
01-29-2010, 7:43 AM
I can probably start shipping the DVD's early next week.

Anyone who wants to purchase the two DVD set can send $29.95 via PayPal to sales AT northwindassociates.com then send a private message to Jackie Outten letting her know that you purchased the DVD's and provide your shipping address. If your shipping address is in Virginia you must add sales tax.

Jackie will take care of shipping them to you.

Darren Null
01-29-2010, 4:53 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php

B. Licensing

With respect to text or data entered into and stored by SawMill Creek, the submitting user retains ownership of such Public Content; with respect to publicly-available statistical content which is generated by the site to monitor and display content activity, such content is owned by SawMill Creek. In each such case, the submitting user grants SawMill Creek the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the terms of any applicable license.

EDIT: @Joe Peacock: A task as you described in your initial post -while worthy- is ultimately doomed to failure, as attachments from older posts are purged from time to time. Meaning that your list will become less useful over time as more of the attachments are removed. Just so you know. Bag 'em while you have the page up, would be my advice.