PDA

View Full Version : Need a spindle gouge, recommendations?

Jack Gaskins
01-27-2010, 9:27 PM
Was looking at purchasing the Ray Key spindle gouge with the long side wings. I want to learn to make boxes and I have watched that the long grind is good for hollowing out with the 3/8ths spindle gouge. Anyone got any suggestions on this?

Matt Hutchinson
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Well, not sure you need that particular tool for box making. I have been hollowing smaller items with a regular spindle gouge using a back hollowing technique, then cleaned that up with a 3/4" scraper.

That said, I don't know anything about the tool you mention. However, I have to say I am loving the Doug Thompson spindle gouge I recently purchased. I'm using the heck out of it (for mainly hollowing), and I have only sharpened it once!

Hutch

Michael E. Thompson
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
+1 for the Thompson spindle gouge or any of his gouges for that matter. Just got mine for Christmas, very nice tool.

Thom Sturgill
01-28-2010, 7:35 AM
IMHO, it is worthwhile to have spindle gouges with both 'conventional' and 'fingernail' grinds just like with bowl gouges. On the fingernail ground gouges (both types) I grind the heel back and round it so that it does not create pressure lines in the work. As far as which manufacturer, I have two of Doug's and will buy more as I add to my collection. But, if cost is the issue, any M2 or better HSS blade will give good service, just be prepared to sharpen more often.