PDA

View Full Version : walnut box - advise sought

Betsy Yocum
10-21-2004, 9:36 PM
Here is my first - designed by me box - I think it's a bit to big for what I was going for. I wanted a box that would be about the right size for a man's hand to take the lid off so I would not need to use a hinge system. I think I made it a bit to big. In any case - it's solid walnut with a divided tray in the bottom and a lift out tray on top of that. The lift out tray comes above the edge of the box to hold on the lid. The lid is a resawn piece of walnut cut to a little more than 1/8" (the same for the bottom). The panels do float.

I'm not sure if you can see the detail on the feet - I'm not a good photographer - :o . I think my miters are getting much better.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make the box better would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
Betsy

Lee Schierer
10-21-2004, 10:17 PM
THe box looks great. If you think it needs a handle, why not duplicate the tray handle on the top?? Either glue it on or put a couple of small brass screws up from inside.

Christopher Pine
10-21-2004, 10:58 PM
I like it very much! I really can't think of any suggestions for making it better... Nice Job!
Chris

John Miliunas
10-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Betsy, nice job on the box! :) There is one suggestion I have to make it look a bit better: Send it on over to me. I think it'd look fantastic on my dresser! :D Hey, you were the one looking for suggestions.... :cool:

Betsy Yocum
10-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Betsy, nice job on the box! :) There is one suggestion I have to make it look a bit better: Send it on over to me. I think it'd look fantastic on my dresser! :D Hey, you were the one looking for suggestions.... :cool:
John - I'll take your suggestion under advisement - :rolleyes:

Lee - if I were to put a handle on it - since it does not have hinges would'nt I have to put a handle on two sides of the lid? It's a thought.

Christopher - thanks for the compliment!!!!!:D

Betsy

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Betsy:

That's a great lookin' box. What are the dimentions of the lid?

Did you do the table. too?

Bruce

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks Bruce - the box is 6.5" by 6.75" - just a little more than square but not quite a rectangle. I used my hand as a guage of what I thought would be good for a man's box. But I still think I over shot the mark a bit. I'm going to take the box to work tomorrow and have some of the guys test it out.

I didn't do the table - although I would like to say I did;) ! It's a nice table with a lift top - great for when the roommies and I want to play scrabble or eat in front of the tube. It's a good size for three people to sit around.

Thanks for looking
Betsy

Gary Max
10-22-2004, 4:56 AM
Betsy--- Super nice box. You where talking about the quality of your pics. They are coming out great---look at how much detail grain you can see.
If you would use a different back drop I think you would be very happy. I take a lot of my pics outside useing mother nature or a pastel comforter for the back ground. I try to keep the backdrop very simple.
Hope this helps.

Steve Jenkins
10-22-2004, 8:05 AM
Betsy, nice looking box. I hope you are going to bring it with you tomorrow to the bbq. We need some show and tell stuff plus there will be a bunch of male hands around to check the size.

Maurice Ungaro
10-22-2004, 8:38 AM
Betsy,
I agree with the other guys about the size of it, and the appearance - it's great! As for your photos, I've had a bit of a problem with my digital camera until I got used to it. Seems I was moving the damn thing ever so slightly when I depressed the shutter button. Takes some practice, but it still is different than my old Nikon SLR. Keep practicing with the photos, as for the box - start a production line, 'cause that one looks wonderful.

Maurice

Tyler Howell
10-22-2004, 8:43 AM
My advise is keep on doing what you're doing:cool:

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - I think you may be right Maurice about the moving the camera just a little bit. Someone told me that they make little tripods for cameras - I'm going to look into that as I've got a bit of a shake to my hands so I don't see moving the camera as going away anytime soon - so a tripod would probably be good for me.

Gary - I like your idea of a pastel background - I think you are right - the towel I used is to much glare - I think outside would be good to. I'll try both and see which wins!!!! Not much of a photog type person so I did not even think of things like that - goes to show there's more to doing simple things than it seems!:)

Steve - I'm not sure if I'll bring the box or not - I'm stopping at an art shop on the way - I was asked to make the box for the shop - so not sure if she'll take it or not. If not, I'll bring it along. I'm taking several things to her shop, whatever she does not take, I'll bring because I really would like some constructive advise on how to make my boxes better. But if I don't end up bringing any - take heart - I'm bringing the really important boxes - the ones with the cookies and fudge!!!

Thanks Tyler - you are always so upbeat!!!!!

Betsy

George Bledsoe
10-22-2004, 9:19 AM
The box looks great although it looks bigger then you said it is.
You did a great job I built a bible box out of Walnut for a friend.
My only suggestion is maybe a figured crotch walnut top.

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 9:21 AM
The box looks great although it looks bigger then you said it is.
You did a great job I built a bible box out of Walnut for a friend.
My only suggestion is maybe a figured crotch walnut top.
Thanks George - I've never tried to work with either burl or crotch wood. I think you would be right though - the figure would be pretty - have you posted pictures of your bible box - I'd like to see it?

Betsy

Dan Gill
10-22-2004, 9:58 AM
Great box, Betsy. Bring it and the camera tomorrow. You can probably get some help on both. Probably, you're either moving the camera a bit, or the autofocus mechanism is being fooled. It looks like the focus to me.

Jim Becker
10-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Betsy, that's a very nice box. I like the way you did the corners and the inset box top as well as the dividers.

I do have a suggestion...make the same box again using a little thinner material for the basic box case and see if you like it better. Since you work a lot on small items adusting the "scale" of the components can soften the look. Do this as an experiment, using just scrap wood with simple joinery so you can compare several versions...spray them with flat black paint so you are only able to look at the form of the piece, rather than being distracted by the wood. (Many turners use this techique to refine form by making miniatures and setting them on a shelf side-by-side to gaze at)

Jeremy Niemann
10-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks George - I've never tried to work with either burl or crotch wood. I think you would be right though - the figure would be pretty - have you posted pictures of your bible box - I'd like to see it?

Betsy

I agree that you should veneer the top with burl or crotch walnut. Or perhaps some other species that would either contrast or compliment, depending on what look you are wanting.

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 1:17 PM
Betsy, that's a very nice box. I like the way you did the corners and the inset box top as well as the dividers.

I do have a suggestion...make the same box again using a little thinner material for the basic box case and see if you like it better. Since you work a lot on small items adusting the "scale" of the components can soften the look. Do this as an experiment, using just scrap wood with simple joinery so you can compare several versions...spray them with flat black paint so you are only able to look at the form of the piece, rather than being distracted by the wood. (Many turners use this techique to refine form by making miniatures and setting them on a shelf side-by-side to gaze at)
I like your suggestion Jim - makes a great deal of sense. I would never have thought of painting the wood to get the look of just the form. I can see where that would certainly give you a different perspective on the look and give a better idea of the form.

Jeremy - I'm going to look into the veneering idea. Should be a fun deviation from what I've been doing.

Thanks all for looking and your suggestions!:)

Betsy

Steve Jenkins
10-22-2004, 1:58 PM
Betsy, nice talking with you a few minutes ago. Remind me tomorrow and we can talk a bit about veneering and I can fix you up with some veneer to play with. Of course a lot hangs on the quality and quantity of fudge.:>)

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 2:03 PM
Betsy, nice talking with you a few minutes ago. Remind me tomorrow and we can talk a bit about veneering and I can fix you up with some veneer to play with. Of course a lot hangs on the quality and quantity of fudge.:>)
Thanks Steve - that's real nice of you. I think I'll make a good haul on the veneer if your gift is based on the quality of my fudge. Fudge is the specailty of my kitchen - my cookies are ok - but the fudge is excellent - if I do say so myself!!!!

Look forward to meeting you and the rest of the creekers!
Betsy

Jim Becker
10-22-2004, 3:16 PM
http://sawsndust.com/images/webdisplay/homjump.gifMmmmm.........Fudge...........Mmmmmmmmm mmm........

Betsy Yocum
10-22-2004, 9:10 PM
http://sawsndust.com/images/webdisplay/homjump.gifMmmmm.........Fudge...........Mmmmmmmmm mmm........
Absolutely hilarious Jim:D - wish you could join us - I'd save you a piece of fudge but I don't think there will be any left --- may next year!!

Betsy