PDA

View Full Version : bowl 6

MIKE E BEE
01-27-2010, 8:12 PM
After purchasing a new set of chisels (Steve you will be happy to know I made sure the set included a bowl gouge) and also after building a new bench for the lathe and some re-arrangements in the garage, I am back in the game!!

Here is some pics of my 6th bowl. This is a piece of maple and a big thanks to the pesky ambrosia bettle for helping out with the grain on this one. The bowl is about 6" around and 2 1/2" high.

As usual all critiques, comments and tips are more than welcome.

Thanks guys!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2010, 8:16 PM
Nice bowl Mike. When I first looked at it I thought it was walnut.

David Christopher
01-27-2010, 8:34 PM
beautiful bowl Mike, like Bernie I thought it looked like walnut....what is the finish

Donny Lawson
01-27-2010, 8:56 PM
You said that was your 6th bowl. Is the wood you turn dry or do you have to wait on them to dry? That is a nice bowl.Keep it up.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2010, 9:08 PM
Mike - congrats on your new tools and lathe stand! Glad to hear you picked up a bowl gouge!!!

Nice looking bowl! Good form and I find it interesting that for your 6th bowl you already jump into undercutting the rim. That's cool. Did it cause you any problems?

About the only problem I have is the small size of the photo prevents us from enjoying your work. For next time - you can post photos up 800 x 600 pixels.

Looking forward to bowl #7!

David E Keller
01-27-2010, 9:12 PM
Nice shape and a nice piece of wood.

MIKE E BEE
01-28-2010, 6:56 AM
Hi David,
At this point all I am using to seal my bowls is some butcher block oil that I already had around the house. I think I will make the purchase of some salad bowl finish next time i am at Roclker.
Thanks David

John Keeton
01-28-2010, 6:59 AM
Nice!! Beautiful wood, too.

MIKE E BEE
01-28-2010, 7:04 AM
Hi Donny,
I am turning dry wood only. I started out glueing up blanks for my first few just to get something to turn but since I have purchased some solid pieces here and there and also have had some pieces given to me. This peice was donated to me along with a piece of cherry by a very generous fellow turner and co worker, Mike posey. He was also nice enough to take my old set of chisels and sharpen them all the correct way for me. Thanks Mr. Mike!!!!

Thanks Donny

MIKE E BEE
01-28-2010, 7:33 AM
Hi Steve,
Yes the new chisels are really nice. Benjamins best aniversary set. They were on sale and i found a coupon on line so they were about half the price of my first set and they are clearly a much higher quality. The bowl gouge is fantastic. No chattering and catching. Glad you pointed that out to me.
As far as under cutting the rim, to be honest I did not realize what I was doing had a name but now I know. I saw the shape in the peice of wood and turned the outside and them just tried to follow the pattern while hollowing out the inside. With the recently added calipers, keeping the thickness of the sides all the way down the bowl is much easier. Is it strange that when I hollow my bowls I actually turn my lathe around and work from the other side so the motor is on my right. Just feels more comfortable to me and on this particular bowl I had to in order to be able to get under the lip like I did. Good thing I have a table top for now. I am already keeping my eyes open for bigger machine too! Guess thats how it goes though.

I am taking these pics with my phone but I will check to see if and how I can change the resolution for my next pics.

Thanks Steve, your input is much appreciated.

Roger Bullock
01-28-2010, 8:13 AM
Hi Steve,
Is it strange that when I hollow my bowls I actually turn my lathe around and work from the other side so the motor is on my right. Just feels more comfortable to me and on this particular bowl I had to in order to be able to get under the lip like I did. Good thing I have a table top for now. I am already keeping my eyes open for bigger machine too! Guess thats how it goes though.

???? :confused: If you turn the lathe around and turn from the backside with the motor on your right doesn't that mean that the bowl is turning up away from your tool rest. If so how do you control your toold?

John Keeton
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Can't speak for Mike, but I find that standing behind the lathe to get to the inner lip of a bowl is much more convenient some times. But, my experience at this point is about 8.5 bowls!!:D

MIKE E BEE
01-28-2010, 1:49 PM
Hi roger,

I keep the tool rest on the same side as if I was turning it from the right side. I also think I hold the chisel lefty. I am a righty but I use my right hand to hold the shaft of the chisel and my left to hold the handle. Not sure if this is right but I do the same thing when i play pool and i have been asked numerous times if I am a lefty. I might just be turning wood lefty too!!