PDA

View Full Version : Bit brace education

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2010, 7:13 PM
I have mostly been a power tool woodworker. The more I do woodworking with hand tools the more I like it.
Wondering what to look for in a used brace. I see them all the time at flea markets and such. My big question is the chucks. I see a lot with only two jaws. Is this standard or what is the story with chucks.
What kind of shanks on bits am I looking for? I have a box of old ones. They are rusted with a square tapered ends.

As far as new goes, who makes a quality model? Wonder if Lee Valley will ever offer a Veritas® model:D

Steven Hart
01-27-2010, 7:17 PM
Lee Valley offers a brace with a conventional three-jaw chuck.

Mike Henderson
01-27-2010, 7:23 PM
I don't know a lot about braces and bits but in the brace area, many people speak highly of the Stanley 2101 "Yankee" brace, such as the one on eBay 350308830094. The 8" is preferred by some people - that's what I have.

For a non ratcheting brace, the Fray is considered very good, such as the one on eBay 250570713641. It's a good looking brace with the two pewter bands on the hand grip - note that the chuck only works with square end bits. You can find good Fray braces cheaper than the one I referenced here.

Mike

Jim Holman
01-27-2010, 7:43 PM
Dave,

Yes, 2 jaws is the standard. Braces are dirt cheap at flea markets, $5 or less in many cases. Buy several and see what you like. The larger the swing, the more leverage you have but the less suitable it is for tight places. The Miller Falls braces are very well made. Look for lack of rust, a chuck that tightens and ratchets in both directions and good wood. Careful, braces can be habit forming!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ETU5RKyQ8IQ/S2DdRXC0tuI/AAAAAAAAAGc/tsrCcekftG0/braces.JPGforming!

Graham Hughes (CA)
01-27-2010, 8:21 PM
Two jaws is standard, as is the tapered pyramid that you've seen. Make sure it grips bits tightly (not always as trivial as it should be, dammit), and make sure the ratchet works (I have five bit braces. Only one has a really totally functional ratchet). Millers Falls makes good ones, I have a Bell System brace that's very useful, and the Yankees sometimes go over well. I'm not aware of anybody making standard sized braces (i.e. excluding the Bridge City tiny one) that are worth beans; I'd go used. Get an 8" for starters, they're not hard to find.

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-27-2010, 9:10 PM
Might want to read this for some education -- from our very own Bob Smalser.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13090

Rick Erickson
01-27-2010, 9:28 PM
Dave,
If you have a sound budget for hand drills you may want to look here. He does a phenominal job in restoring these. Can you find a good worker for a whole lot less? Certainly. However, these are beautifully restored works of art.

I have purchased three different drills from him and am anxiously waiting for them to come. Schwarz did a write up on him in one of his blogs.

http://www.wktools.com/

Casey Gooding
01-27-2010, 9:45 PM
There are many fine braces to be had from flea markets. Many fine workers are still dirt cheap. Just make sure everything works well.
As Mike said, the 2101 braces are considered the Cadillac of braces. They were made under the labels of Yankee, Bell and Stanley.

Dave Lehnert
01-28-2010, 9:12 PM
Thats to all. The info will help me get started.

Would you believe I was in a little small town hardware store 3 or 4 years ago. On the shelf they has a brand new, in box , Millers Falls bit brace? They were asking over $100 for it.

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-29-2010, 6:48 AM
And if it was a Parsons brace, it would have been a bargain at that price!

Dan Andrews
01-29-2010, 6:43 PM
I use a Millers Falls Holdall brace which has a universal chuck, A Stanley 923 With a universal chuck, and a Millers Falls Lion brace with, not surprisingly, a Lion chuck which is of universal design. A universal chuck will work well with the tapered square (tang) bits or round shank bits. These are all 10" braces, and good for driving larger diameter bits.
I use an 8" Stanley Victor for a lot of bench work because with the smaller through of the handle, I don't punch myself in the chest as much. The Victor is a cheapie and I don't recommend it, but they (2) are the only 8" braces I have.

Rummage sales= dirt cheap to buy. About 1/2 of my braces were given to me or inherited.

P.S. I have about 15 braces and only one has a bad ratchet.:)