PDA

View Full Version : 12" Lazy Susan Display

Anthony Welch
01-27-2010, 5:58 PM
I'm planning on building a display roughly 48"-60" tall by 36"- 40" wide.

My question is from someone who may have done this or an engineer
that might know about this, is... Base on the height what is the max. width I can go using the 12" lazy susan? I've built a couple of smaller
displays using smaller lazy susan's and they are sturdy, but wobble when turned. This I don't want with these displays.

Lazy susan is rated 1000# weight. I'm probably gonna be near 200# loaded with products. So weight is not an issue.

Thanks,
Anthony

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2010, 9:15 PM
If you are thinking of using the common stamped steel lazy Susan, forget it. Woodworker's Supply carries a a machined aluminum one that is much better, but also more expensive.

Lee Schierer
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I just took apart a lazy susan from a set of cabinets. The rotating part was 36" in diameter and there was a 12" stamped steel bearing assembly in it. It didn't seem loose to me. You would need a rigid base to support it.

I also have a pantry with a large lazy susan that is 24" in diameter and 72" tall with 5 or 6 shelf levels made of pipe and pipe flanges up the center and supported by a 1" ID tapered roller bearing on the bottom. The top pipe extends up through a piece of 2 x 4 lined with UHMW. It turns easily, smoothly and supports over 200# with ease.

Paul Atkins
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Closer to the outside the better. I made a chair display that was about 3' in diameter with a motor driving it. I used casters mounted in the base and an axle from a 1/2" piece of drill rod to keep it centered. I think I used 5 wheels, but I'm not sure. Very smooth and no wobble.

Anthony Welch
01-29-2010, 8:04 AM
Good information. Thank you for your time in answering.

Anthony