PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Classic, Opinions?

Scott Hildenbrand
01-27-2010, 5:50 PM
Now.. I know that I just asked about the Vega, but I'm starting to second guess that choice and have gone to the next in line..

I PROMISE not to ask about the Unifence or Biesemeyer as there's plenty of info online for that, as well as an active topic currently.

Shop Fox classic came to mind as I can get the 7' rail version for what seems to be a really good price and it comes with legs, unlike other long rails which make you buy the legs separately for $50+ more or so.

Seems like the classic is one of those fences that has been imitated many times over, no? And my understanding is that it's a solid fence.

So what about down sides.. What sucks about it?

Technically the R4511 comes with a Shop Fox clone, but that split rail is annoying as crud.

So what do you think? Or is the new alumi fence a better fence to go with, if indeed one was to go Shop Fox?

Bob Haskett
01-27-2010, 6:16 PM
Now.. I know that I just asked about the Vega, but I'm starting to second guess that choice and have gone to the next in line..

I PROMISE not to ask about the Unifence or Biesemeyer as there's plenty of info online for that, as well as an active topic currently.

Shop Fox classic came to mind as I can get the 7' rail version for what seems to be a really good price and it comes with legs, unlike other long rails which make you buy the legs separately for $50+ more or so.

Seems like the classic is one of those fences that has been imitated many times over, no? And my understanding is that it's a solid fence.

Technically the R4511 comes with a Shop Fox clone, but that split rail is annoying as crud.

So what do you think? Or is the new alumi fence a better fence to go with, if indeed one was to go Shop Fox?

I have the R4511 and do not like the rails either. Most people here say just replace the rails...I may go the Shop Fox Classic route or Delta T2 though. If not, what you need is 2x2x7 (or whatever length) steel tube to mount to the front and I am not sure what they used for the back. I would think this would be really hard to get it lined up just right but maybe someone who has done it can chime in.

scott spencer
01-27-2010, 7:53 PM
The SF Classic is a good copy of the Biesemeyer Commercial fence, and is similar to the HTC, Jet Exacta II, PM Accufence, Steel City, etc....all also Biese copies. The biggest difference is that the Classic has UHMW plastic faces vs the laminated ply faces of the Biese. It's well built and is functionally about the same as the Biese...its a good value IMO. The Biese is made in the US and has a better fit and finish, but costs more.

Cary Falk
01-27-2010, 8:26 PM
I have the 7' SF Classic on my Unisaw and I am very happy with it. It is built like a tank. It keeps it's alignment. I think it is a bargain. What sucks about it? The magnified curser was horrible. I made my own with some Al and plexiglass.

Fred Belknap
01-27-2010, 8:32 PM
It's what came with my Grizzly 1023SL. It's a good fence, I did a little changing on the little lens that is on the ruler. It a lot heavier than the T2 which I also have but don't use. They both are good fences.
Fred

Scott Hildenbrand
01-27-2010, 8:47 PM
Is the fence rail itself steel or aluminum? Just wondering if I can use magnetic jigs on it.

Bob Haskett
01-27-2010, 11:28 PM
If you do decide to get the fence, let me know how the install goes. Very curious what you have to do to get it on and aligned. Its one of the things holding me back. Well that and I have a few other tool purchases ahead of that...

Jason Hanko
01-28-2010, 12:37 AM
The rail is steel (at least on the one that came on my G1023).

Long story short: great fence for the money.

Long story long: Its a solid fence that holds its alignment well and is easy to move when unlocked. My only complaint is with the UHMW fence - mine has ~0.01'' dips in it wherever theres a machine screw that holds it to the fence tube. Now maybe the guy who owned the saw before me was a gorilla and put the machine screws in with about 70000 ft lbs of torque, so I dont know if a new one would be that way but Id check it out. Its not really a huge deal except its harder to set the fence parallel to the blade, what with the dial indicator moving so much just from the dips.
One of these days Ill replace the UHMW with plywood or something.

Scot Roberge
01-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I agree with the others here that the fence is a solid piece of equipment for the money. The one that came with my Grizzly 1023SL had a low hanging UHMW face on one side that scrubbed the table . . . and the handle broke off before I even got it installed. Grizzly replaced entire fence and I have no problems with the replacement. (I think I'm always the guy that gets the one defective unit!) +1 on Jason's comment about the fence face having dips of +/- .001" where the mounting bolts go through it. May hurt your pride a little when you run a dial indiactor across it . . . but this is woodworking . . . .001" ain't gonna make a differnce. Also +1 on the magnifying lens. Actually I thought this was just my eyes. Cary: how'd you design a replacement . . . I'd sure like to see a picture!

Jason Hanko
01-28-2010, 1:00 AM
Also +1 on the magnifying lens. Actually I thought this was just my eyes. Cary: how'd you design a replacement . . . I'd sure like to see a picture!
I wont speak for Cary, but I also made my own - out of a clear CD case cover. :o
I just cut a piece of CD case to the correct size, then scribed a nice fine line with a marking knife. Color over the line with a sharpie, then rub off the excess sharpie with a rag. The ink that goes into the scratched line will stay and leave you with a nice line. Now drill some holes using the mounting plate as a template and you're good to go.

Scott Hildenbrand
01-28-2010, 1:10 AM
May hurt your pride a little when you run a dial indiactor across it . . . but this is woodworking . . . .001" ain't gonna make a differnce.

Pffft... I have no pride... I hadn't even aligned the top yet.. :)

Everything I've worked on so far has been utilitarian, so I hadn't worried about alignment.. No pinching between the fence and the blade, so no problem... For now..

When I do end up getting a new fence I'll align the table before I install it, during the breakdown.

Cary Falk
01-28-2010, 4:07 AM
Scot,
I thought I had a picture in photobucket but it's not there anymore. I will take some when I get off work late morning. It involves some 1/4" alunimum, 1/4" plexiglass and some spacers to get the plexiglass really close to the ruler.
Cary

scott spencer
01-28-2010, 7:00 AM
Is the fence rail itself steel or aluminum? Just wondering if I can use magnetic jigs on it.

Steel....so, "yep".

Just to clarify, it might be worth noting that Grizzly sells the Shop Fox Classic (stock fence on the G1023) and the Shop Fox Aluma Classic (stock fence on the G0444). Both are steel t-square designs....one is a copy of the Biese Commercial fence, the other is a copy of the Biese Homeshop fence...just a little lighter duty.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KsFJuxaZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/right-tool_2084_82852100

Dave Gaul
01-28-2010, 9:40 AM
Anyone know the exact front rail length on the SF Classic? Thought I saw somewhere they are 57", but I can't find it!

I too have the 4511, and I don't like the split rail either, but my other problem is my shop is ~ 7' 6" wide, so 7' rails won't work for me!!

Dan Lawson
01-28-2010, 9:47 AM
I removed the plastic facings and replaced them with 1/2" corian which improved the flatness over the stock version. That saved me from going to a bies upgrade. A local countertop shop cut it from scrap for $30. Worthy upgrade.

scott spencer
01-28-2010, 9:58 AM
Anyone know the exact front rail length on the SF Classic? Thought I saw somewhere they are 57", but I can't find it!

I too have the 4511, and I don't like the split rail either, but my other problem is my shop is ~ 7' 6" wide, so 7' rails won't work for me!!

They offer two sizes. The stock rails are 54", for 26" rip capacity on the right, 10" on the left....I slid the rails right 10" to get 36" right side rip, 0" on the left.

Dave Gaul
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
They offer two sizes. The stock rails are 54", for 26" rip capacity on the right, 10" on the left....I slid the rails right 10" to get 36" right side rip, 0" on the left.

Thanks Scott!!! That just about settles my decision to go with the shop fox classic... should solve both my issues with the stock fence!

Scott Hildenbrand
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Dan, thanks for that.. I have a solid surface top I got at Lowes (normally $300, got it for $20, yay me!) sitting around that I was wondering what I could use it for.. Got to measure it again, but pretty sure it'll fit.. :p

glenn bradley
01-28-2010, 3:57 PM
What sucks about it? The magnified curser was horrible.

My Bies cursors weren't much better (couldn't be my eyes ;)). Harbor Freight $1 bargain bin to the rescue.

Cary Falk
01-28-2010, 4:06 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0076-1.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0077-1.jpg

scott spencer
01-28-2010, 4:11 PM
Another solution for the cursor problem:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/100_0255.jpg

:D

Walt Stevens
01-28-2010, 7:09 PM
I replaced the cursor with a Biesemeyer cursor from MikesTools.com, which minimized the parallax. I also replaced the self-stick plastic tape measure with an aluminum one from Rockler. Other than that, the fence is really solid.

Rich Aldrich
01-28-2010, 8:36 PM
I have a Grizzly G1023 that I bought in 2000. This was the first or second year that they put the Shop Fox classic on this saw. I really like the fence. No problems with it. It is easy to adjust.

Scott Hildenbrand
01-28-2010, 8:53 PM
I've got the Wixey gauge on the factory rail and love it.. Makes it very easy to get to the right spot.. Though, I have had it loose track of where it was when moving the fence too fast.

Clint Winterhalter
01-28-2010, 11:50 PM

I did a Vega upgrade on the C-Man Saw I started with. It was a great fence, far better than what came on the saw. I later purchased the shop fox version of the 1023. It came with the Shop Fox classic. I like the construction / weight better. The only issue I had was the magnifier lens. Having owned both, I'd go with the Shop Fox..
Good Luck.. Clint

Scott Hildenbrand
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Now that's what I call a side by side.. Thanks for the input.. :)

Scot Roberge
01-29-2010, 1:02 AM
Thanks, Cary. I get the idea. Will put that on my list of things to do. Seems like I work more on the shop than in the shop . . .