PDA

View Full Version : Power Twist Link Belts for Lathe

Rob Cunningham
01-27-2010, 5:44 PM
I've been having some vibration issues with my Delta lathe (46-204). The V belt is most likely the original one and has some set to it. It would be much easier if I didn't have to take the headstock apart to replace a belt. Any reason not to replace it with a link belt? Thanks for any advice.

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2010, 8:12 PM
I don't think they will work to well. My brother tried one on his older delta with a reeves drive and it well lets just say it was a disaster. other than that it is the only experience I have them.

Denis Puland
01-27-2010, 8:35 PM
I think that the link belts may be too hard or firm to work well with reeves drives. It does work very well on my General EVS.

I used to have a reeves drive lathe and though the belt at times caused vibration it got so that new belts did not change the vibration.

I think a lot of reeves drive lathes simply vibrate from wear in the drive it's self.

Compared to the variable belt drive systems I have worked with on farm equipment the reeves lathe drives are rather crappy in quality and work ok for occasional use. But for a lathe that is used a lot they require a lot of maintaining.
Keep them clean and well lubricated to get maximum life.

My 1 1/2 cents worth: Denis

Rob Cunningham
01-28-2010, 9:02 AM
My lathe doesn't have have a Reeves drive, just a 4 step pulley system.

Denis Puland
01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes the link style belting will work very nicely for your lathe.

Denis

Scott Lux
01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
In that case, by all means a link belt will work. I did the same for the same reason, didn't want to break the headstock.

John Mowgli
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Fenner P-twist II on my bandsaw, my drill press, had it on my restored C-man TS, restored Dunlap scroll saw & my old Delta lathe.
I'm getting it for my belt sander and my "new" old Delta lathe.

Yep, I like em and they work great :)

Steve Clardy
01-28-2010, 2:17 PM
4-step pulley with linkbelt here.
Works better than a regular belt. The regular belts would take on a set from non use and then vibrate badly.