PDA

View Full Version : Did You Design Your Own Website

Daner Steel
01-27-2010, 5:15 PM
How difficult Is It to Design your own website?
I'm looking for a new good web host, That has a user friendly cpanel with good support.
I had bad luck with justhost,
I'm Just looking for some advise on a web host, that will work good all around.

TIA
Dan

Craig D Peltier
01-27-2010, 5:42 PM
I like Homestead. Its very easy to build. Pics you just upload like and email. I have spoken with them many times and they walk you through everything.I think $20 a month. You can have up to 3 sites for that cost and many emails.

Daner Steel
01-27-2010, 5:51 PM
My last host looked like a great deal at the time, It was advertised at $3 bucks and change.....Until you get In there ,Then the price goes way up.
Then If you want to get on a site like Google....they want more cash:eek: then you pay them , and find out It will take months for your site to be on there

I don't mind spending a bit more, If you get good support and the cpanel works easy

Eric DeSilva
01-27-2010, 6:06 PM
"Design your own" in the context of websites spans a wide range of territory. If you are building a commercial site, I would seriously recommend hiring a web designer. The results will look more professional than any template you find.

If it is a personal site, diving into CSS, PHP/MySQL, Java, and Flash can be fun, but it is time consuming...

I've used enom for hosting for years. Works fine for me.

Michael Schwartz
01-27-2010, 6:18 PM
I setup my personal/buisness site using Apples iWeb which produces some professional looking results using templates in no time at all. My site is hosted through Apples mobile me, but refrenced to a .com domain name which was probably the hardest thing to setup.

I know there are some online services that are template based, and there also has to be some good template based software for windows too.

I will be having a site for my buisness developed professionally soon.

You don't have to pay to have your site crawled by google, you can add it to there cue by yourself manually. I managed to get my site listed in a few hours.

Daner Steel
01-27-2010, 6:28 PM
I think I can set up the pages ok, But I'm not sure about the keywords codes etc .....I'm wondering about Bluehost, or Go Daddy, If there cpanel Is a good one

PS I just checked out that site Homested....I looks to be a good one

Jon Lanier
01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I like Homestead. I've had a church, pen business and now my personal ministry using Homestead. Really easy to use and a good price.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I wanted as close to absolute control as I could get without having to host the website myself. I wanted to be able to program in perl and c, have full cgi, mysql database support, and imagemagick. Needed shell access via telnet and ftp capability. Wanted the server to be running Linux (or some other Posix compatible system).

I settled on phpwebhosting. I get it for about $10 bucks a month and so far get all the disk space I request (150 meg initially, 50 meg increments as requested). I've parked a couple of domains there and used it to develop web stores for several clients (who are now also hosting there).

I wasn't interested in any kind of site building stuff, so other than knowing at one time they had Frontpage extensions, no clue what they offer.

Daner Steel
01-28-2010, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the replys guys

Is there a way to get a Domain name that I can keep and have the rights to?.....When I was with Justhost they had the rights to my Domain.

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2010, 9:13 AM
Just register it yourself, I used godaddy for my last one, they were cheaper than the big "standard bearer" company I used for the first one. Then chose a hosting service that lets you transfer your own domain. Takes a few days after you move to a new site for the information to propagate...

Pretty dirty trick by Justhost. Did you contact them about getting your domain? I guess it's possible they do everything in their name to keep customer setup problems to a minimum.

Oh, one more thing to look for in a hosting service, wildcard DNS. Nice feature that lets you "roll your own" domain names. Just the trailing part has to be your domain. For example, if you have domain.com, wildcard DNS lets bob.domain.com, superstore.domain.com, or whatever.domain.com hit your site. You can play some games with shtml to tell what name hit you and display the correct home page...

Thanks for the replys guys

Is there a way to get a Domain name that I can keep and have the rights to?.....When I was with Justhost they had the rights to my Domain.

David Freed
01-28-2010, 8:13 PM
I use Homestead also.

Mike Henderson
01-28-2010, 8:28 PM
I designed my own website and it looks like it. I use DreamHost.

Mike

Jim Becker
01-28-2010, 8:44 PM
I've been pleased with MyHosting.com for years now. I can't speak to their "user friendly" web setup stuff, however, as I never used it. I use Dreamweaver for my web development.