PDA

View Full Version : Tromar closes its doors

laura passek
01-27-2010, 1:55 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Tromar, They have shut down their two locations.
This is going to make it hard to get supplies.

Ron Chapellaz
01-27-2010, 2:21 PM
Hi Laura,

I have dealt with Tromar for over 20 years. They have had their share of set-backs and currently only have 1 location in Mississauga. They are now a seller for JDS. The phone number is 800-268-2070, and ask for Paul. He'll be able to help you.
Ron

laura passek
01-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Thanks Ron, we have been trying this number for over a week now and it just says they (Tromar) are closed.:confused:

Ron Chapellaz
01-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Well Laura, you are right. I called tromar this morning and got the same message you did. I also called JDS and they did confirm that Tromar closed their doors about 2 weeks ago. I placed an order there just before that.

I've dealt with them for over 20 years and had great service. They used to manufacture virtually every trophy component there, but in recent years could not compete against the Chinese market, and became a Canadian distributor for JDS.
Sad to see them go....

Bill Cunningham
01-30-2010, 8:07 PM
When I started my business 21 years ago, I figured I would like to get into some trophy work. They outright refused to sell to me because I was generally industrial, not operating from a 'storefront'.. A few years back, well after I became better known in the area, they sent me their catalog, a bunch of samples and a offer to sell me components etc.. By that time, I had found other suppliers, and developed good relations with them, and it felt VERY satisfying to say thanks, but no thanks.. :mad:

john passek
01-31-2010, 3:06 AM
Hello there Bill
We live on opposite ends of the Country.
I would probably have done the same as you in that situation.
We only have a couple of small distributers here in B,C. one of which got their supplies from Tromar. We tried JDS but the shipping and handling was more than the product was worth so we were hoping to cut out the middle man and deal direct with Tromar but I gues thats out the window for now.
Who do you deal with in Toronto, we desperatly need to find a reliable source.
Thanks for your post.
John

Ron Chapellaz
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Hello John,
You may want to try PDU. The closest one to you is in Edmonton. They are very fast at sending out shipments. The Western sales rep. is Vinton Burns. Call 780-454-9870. To help control shipping costs, get them to ship out to you with Expidited post. It is cheaper than direct delivery and takes 2-3 days to ship. I've had orders arrive the next day and I'm near Winnipeg.

john passek
01-31-2010, 1:17 PM
Hi Ron
Thanks for the info.
We have used PDU before and will use them more now but Tromar had selections of stuff non of the other wholesalers have.
John

Ron Chapellaz
01-31-2010, 1:37 PM
I hear you John!
They were a great manufacturer of Canadian products. They had a great supply of Canadian themed mylars. We lost all of that when they closed. Maybe PDU Canada and/or Caldwell will step up and take care of our "Canadian" needs. I'll put in a request to Vinton this week and see what he says...
If you find out about any other smaller suppliers keep the Creek informed. I'd love to see a wholesaler here in Winnipeg. We have nothing here for trophy components. It is all down East. I am always having to have things shipped out which does get expensive.

Tony Lenkic
01-31-2010, 6:00 PM
John,

Do you have an account with Caldwell Recognition? They have western distribution center in Surrey BC. Google them for the contact info.
Also, you may want to contact Norkim Distributors (Freeman trophy products).

john passek
01-31-2010, 7:35 PM
Thanks Tony
We do use Caldwell as well as Engravers Express for engraving materials ( metals and Plastics etc), never heard of the other one you mention but will check into it.
I hope that JDS gets a Canadian distributor some time in the future, it is just way too expensive to get it across the line.
John

Tony Lenkic
01-31-2010, 9:41 PM
John,

Back in the days when CPE was active I use to see this company at the show out of Montreal. Their web site is still active so maybe you can try to get them to send you catalog and pricing.

http://discounttrophy.ca/website.html

Two/three weeks ago I received flier from JDS informing me that they pre-arrange freight, customs duties and taxes with one invoice for it all. I have never order from them direct so I don't know if it's worth it. To bad Tromar is gone. Hopefully some other supplier will pick up the void.

john passek
01-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Tony
One of our suppliers ( www.burrardinfo.com (http://www.burrardinfo.com)) in Vancouver B,C. gets stuff from DTC, they have a lot of good stuff too.
I've emailed Norkim and requested a cataloq, will have a look at their stuff.
Thanks again.
John

Ron Chapellaz
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
John and Tony, F.Y.I.
I had received an email from Tromar with a mock up invoice showing the cost of an order and the shipping costs on it were outrageous. If items ordered were out of stock at Tromar then they had to order it in from JDS. Tromar thought that by having the order shipped direct from JDS to the customer, it would save time especially if timelines were tight. The shipping costs were just under 1/2 of the cost of the goods... To me that is too steep, but if you really are in a pinch then it'll get you off the hook. I knew at that point the writting was on the wall for Tromar.

I also deal with Norkim and Discount Trophy and both are good as well. Norkim doesn't have a color catalog which is a bit of a downfall, but they do have really good specials from time to time.

Bill Cunningham
01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Yup Discount Trophy, and Norm at Norkim.. I have to admit that I don't get involved with a lot of run-of-the-mill 'trophies' any more, I leave that to the 3 or 4 ordinary trophy shops in my area. There is more money (and personal satisfaction) in custom stuff..

john passek
02-04-2010, 4:01 AM
Hello Creekers
Tony, I talked to Norman at Norkim, he seems like a nice guy.
He is sending out some catalogs and some samples, shipping should only be a couple of days from Toronto to PR, I can live with that but we'll see what the freight costs are.
He also said that he can get Tromar stuff too, so that will help.
I've tried to log on to the dealer site but nothing happens.
I will update when I get the catalog.
John:)

Tony Lenkic
02-04-2010, 1:07 PM
John,

Norkim crew is nice to work with. Hopefully the freight will be reasonable.

I have couple more contacts for you to explore"

1 - St. John's Trophies (www dot sjtl dot com). They are wholesale type shop.
2 - Multiawards International Canada (www dot micawards dot com). Importers from orient I believe.

I am like Bill, gave up on trophies long ago but I do have some contact info.

john passek
02-04-2010, 2:26 PM
I will certainly check these others out thanks again Tony.
We are the only shop doing Trophies and Awards in our area. we only have about 13,000 people here but lots of sports groups so we do just about everything here.
To go anywhere else to get custom stuff you have to take a ferry out of town which is pretty much a whole days event.

John

john passek
02-12-2010, 5:51 AM
Hello Creekers
Just got some catalogues from Norm, (norkim dot ca) took 4-5 days to reach us ,shipping cost wasn't bad, we will probably order some more stuff in a few weeks.
They have nice catalogs but not much in the way of pricing, not sure why we're having an issue with logging into their site. there is a log in sign but no box to put your information.
Thanks to all that gave us some insight and places to look.
John

Viktor Voroncov
02-13-2010, 3:04 AM
Slightly offtopic, but I see a lot of Canadians trophy makers are here. Need advice - I heard that items like attached (cherry finish laminated plaques) are manufactured in Canada. Any ideas about who can offer me good price for this items? Currently our purchase is from China but quality :(

Darryl Hazen
02-13-2010, 2:35 PM
We just received a huge catalog from Marco Awards Group. They have an outlet in Quebec, as well as outlets all over the states. We've never ordered from them but the catalog looks pretty extensive. Their Phone # is 1-800-229-6592. Canadian phone # is 450-792-3685. Website: www dot discounttrophy dot ca. US website is www dot discount-trophy dot com. There's a Portland, OR outlet for you folks in western Canada.:)

laura passek
02-13-2010, 4:50 PM
You could try JDS dot com,
they are in the US and have a large selection of componants.

Tony Lenkic
02-13-2010, 7:04 PM
Viktor - Norkim distributors would have them. They use to make those in house and maybe still do.
Standard sizes available are 7x9, 8x10 and 9x12. You can get those in solid cherry wood as well.

john passek
02-13-2010, 7:37 PM
Tony
I wasn't aware thet norkim manufactured inhouse items, good to know.

Tony Lenkic
02-13-2010, 7:42 PM
John, yes they do and when ever I purchased engraving plastics and aluminum sheets I was told that the dust on it is from wood productions and it is absolutely free.

john passek
02-13-2010, 9:15 PM
LOL, now if you could only find something to do (make) with all the dust.:rolleyes:

Viktor Voroncov
02-14-2010, 4:00 AM
Thank's all! I know about JDS, but Norkim is new name for me - will contact them today.

john passek
02-20-2010, 9:01 PM
Update
Received catalogues and some stock, Norm sounds like a good guy to deal with, lots of nice stuff but not everything they show is available?
Shipping was pretty reasonable and arrived within a few days of leaving the warehouse, so we will try a larger order soon and see how it works out.
Thanks Tony for turning me on to them.
John

Julie Nickerson
02-21-2010, 7:52 AM
I have dealt with Tromar numerous times and I didn't realized that they closed their doors. I usually deal with PDU, Caldwell and Lou Silver Trophies. I'm on the east coast so shipping is usually pretty high but I have no other choice but to order from Ontario.

Tony Lenkic
02-21-2010, 11:24 AM
John - Glad to know this contacts may help you in sourcing products. There may be couple more that I could pass your way for higher quality wall plaques and some marble/granite if you need them.

Tony Lenkic
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Julie,

You order from Lou Silver? Maybe you should try his brother Murray as well. Murray has much bigger operation. Both of them are retail shops, btw.