PDA

View Full Version : Ikon Metal - What a Difference

Belinda Barfield
01-27-2010, 1:50 PM
The floor inset we removed . . .

The new one we installed. . .

The two insets are the same size (48 x 48), I just didn't manage to get the exact same camera angle on the second photo. The inset is in the entry way of a courthouse completed last November. The original inset was sand blasted cast stone.

I should point out that the discoloration at the bottom left is just water. It absolutely stormed the night before the pic was taken. I didn't think I'd ever get the inset dried off so I could get the pic (I didn't have a squeegee with me)!

Dan Hintz
01-27-2010, 3:01 PM
I wonder how the IkonMetal will hold up to the foot traffic seen in a courthouse...

Belinda Barfield
01-27-2010, 3:11 PM
I wonder how the IkonMetal will hold up to the foot traffic seen in a courthouse...

I did discuss this with the folks at Ikonics Dan, and they assured me it will hold up to the foot traffic. They wouldn't, however, guarantee a length of time it will hold up (which I didn't expect they would). It does have about six coats of spar urethane on it. This piece is going to be my test for foot traffic endurance. :)

Mike Null
01-27-2010, 4:10 PM
Belinda

Did you sandblast the new one or laser it?

Either way it looks great.

Belinda Barfield
01-27-2010, 4:13 PM
Belinda

Did you sandblast the new one or laser it?

Either way it looks great.

Thanks Mike. The lettering was laser cut and inset into 3 cm black granite. The granite was cut with a water jet. Why 3 cm? It's what I had sitting around. :)

Good talking to you the other day, BTW. Sorry about the missing drawl.:rolleyes:

Dee Gallo
01-27-2010, 5:59 PM
That is striking, Belinda! What a huge difference, people will actually stop and look at it instead of just walking on it.

cheers, dee

Bill Cunningham
01-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Ya! They may even feel guilty (no pun intended:D) stepping on it, so it may last longer than expected!

Belinda Barfield
01-29-2010, 7:49 AM
That is striking, Belinda! What a huge difference, people will actually stop and look at it instead of just walking on it.

cheers, dee

Thanks Dee!

Ya! They may even feel guilty (no pun intended:D) stepping on it, so it may last longer than expected!

I don't know Bill. I've seen some of the people headed into that courthouse and I don't think some of them feel guilty about anything! :eek:

Dan Hintz
01-29-2010, 8:18 AM
I've seen some of the people headed into that courthouse and I don't think some of them feel guilty about anything! :eek:
If they did, they probably wouldn't be there in the first place :p