PDA

View Full Version : box Joint

John Powers
01-27-2010, 8:00 AM
I don't want to make my own. Can anyone recommend a usable, modestly priced simple box/finger joint jig? Cheaper is better but utility is the driver. thanks

Nathan Conner
01-27-2010, 8:26 AM
Hey, John. If you have a tablesaw and a small miter sled (or you can make one for this task if necessary) you can make your own in a few minutes that's as accurate and easy as any commercially made jig. You could make a weekend project and probably make something nicer than you could buy. If you need something really simple, a dowel through the back of your miter sled at the appropriate place will be enough of a "jig" for you to get your work done. This is all you need - a spacer piece for the piece to ride along so you can use your dado set to cut at appropriate intervals.

If you do a search here in the threads for "finger joint jig" or better yet, Google Video for the same, you'll find tons of information that will give you an idea of how it works.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2010, 8:58 AM
If you want to make them on the router, the one that the Router Workshop guys sell looks pretty nice. Think you can just Google them and they have a link to the seller, Oak Park or something like that.

Rich Noterman
01-29-2010, 1:36 PM
Rockler sells a nice jig for box joints, works great I use one

Myk Rian
01-29-2010, 1:50 PM
I use my Incra jig for those. Makes super tight joints.
You can also get the box joint jigs set at Oak Park. Best price around for the original idea.
http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=boxj--