PDA

View Full Version : power feeder setup, use on table saw

abram godshall
01-27-2010, 7:21 AM
Has anyone used a power feeder on their tablesaw to rip thin stock (like 1 1/2")? What feeder do you use?

Ty in advance:)

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2010, 9:01 AM
Hi, I wouldn't call 1 1/2" stock thin, however I've used a feeder on my saw for ripping solids and sheet goods.

I have a Hammer HC-308 3 wheel feeder, with speeds of 2.9/4.5/7.5/11.5 m/minute.

For 1 1/2" hardwood stock I'd probably use 7.5m/min (24.7ft/minute) as that gives a chip load of 0.003" with 24 teeth and 4,000 RPM spindle speed. Check machine load and cut quality then decide if you want to go faster.

For softwood stock I'd go with 11.5m/minute (38ft/minute) which gives a chip load of 0.005" with above blade/spindle speed. If machine is OK this will be fine as it's actually low on the softwood ripping chip load range.

Have you ever used a feeder before on other machines?

Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
01-27-2010, 8:40 PM
I'm using a Grizzly 1HP feeder on a 5HP cabinet saw, and I set it to go as fast as possible, by which I mean I start as slow as it will go and speed up until it sounds right to my ear. It depends on species as well as thickness, but there are only a few speed choices, so its not that hard.

I clamp a board to the other side of the out feed end of my fence to stop any deflection when ripping with a feeder. I'll use a feeder for any thickness, but more likely for longer runs of repetitive cuts. I also like them for miters where the cut quality is critical, such as for corners that will be glued up of the saw. They can also be helpful for ripping longer lengths of stock.

J.R. Rutter
01-28-2010, 12:39 AM
They work great on table saws. Cut quality is better, and narrow ripping is safer. I didn't use much "toe-in" when I had them set up. This helps with fence deflection, though clamping it is an option, like Peter mentioned. I bet you could get away with a lighter feeder on the table saw, though I used 1 HP. Vibration is not an issue, mainly forward motion. Wax that table!

abram godshall
01-28-2010, 6:59 AM
when i said thin stock i really meant narrow stock. 1.5" face frame pieces. the trouble i have is positioning the feeder. i have used it to rip plywood with great results but don't know how to postion it for narrow stock. for the plywood it is just to the right of the blade and in between the blade and the fence. with narrow stock, it does fit there. HELP!
THANKS, ABRAM GODSHALL

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2010, 8:10 AM
Abram, I have a three wheel feeder so the saw arbour is between the infeed roller and the second roller.

Don't be afraid to run the saw into the rubber roller if required. (Just don't cut up into the metal wheel).

Once you have that saw cut in the rollers, you just use the same spot every time.

Regards, Rod.