PDA

View Full Version : looking for wood/sawmill Seattle /Tacoma

gaston harris
01-27-2010, 1:55 AM
Anyone have any good sawmills - small wood dealers for hardwood that cut locally in the Seattle or Tacoma area. Looking for maple,cherry or any hardwood that's not kiln dried. Lots of projects on the drawing board and would like to support small local outfits. I have considered buying a small used mill to support my woodworking habit - not sure how much work it is to find trees etc. Anyone in Washington state have ideas?
Thanks
Gaston

Will Brauneis
01-27-2010, 2:33 AM
Heres where i get most of my lumber (www.nwwood.com) Its located off of canyon road between Spanaway and Puyallup. Real nice guy he will help you find what you need and has very fair prices (2-4$ for most species). He has a great selection pretty much every native species to WA with some extremely wide and unique boards, eastern hardwoods, and all the major exotics. Most of the hardwood lumber is kiln dyed but I'm sure if you asked him he would gladly let you look through the numerous stacks of lumber pre drying before the kiln. The lumber is separated by species but not by grades so it will take some sorting through the stacks but thats half the fun finding the perfect board for your project. There is also one located by Bethel high school in Graham called Pitchwood Mills but I'm not sure of the address or phone # as i have never stopped by.

Hope that helps. It's great your trying to support local small business!

Dave Sharpe
01-27-2010, 3:47 AM
I haven't tried them out myself, but here's a couplea guys on Whidbey Island with sawmills:

http://www.sawmillservice.com/

Oc course there's always Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle, Urban Hardwoods also in Seattle (I'm not sure he actually sells the wood - but makes some great pieces from trees that have been cut in the urban area) and Edensaw up in Port Townsend. Good sources for wood, but I beleive it's all kiln dried and not necessarily local.

Craig D Peltier
01-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I haven't tried them out myself, but here's a couplea guys on Whidbey Island with sawmills:

Oc course there's always Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle, Urban Hardwoods also in Seattle (I'm not sure he actually sells the wood - but makes some great pieces from trees that have been cut in the urban area) and Edensaw up in Port Townsend. Good sources for wood, but I beleive it's all kiln dried and not necessarily local.

Urban will sell you piece for like 10 grand , there very expensive but cool to look at. edensaw has a good choice but there very pricey as well not like urban though but compared to crosscut. Theres one in Tacoma as well. They just recently left Kent.

gaston harris
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
thanks for the help - I usually end up at crosscut but it takes me a couple of hours to get there. Edensaw in Kent was closer but every time I went they were out of the one thing I needed - thanks for the heads up that they're no longer there. Thanks Will I will definitely try nwwood - that's much closer than Seattle.
Thanks for the help,
Gaston

Andy Cleland
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Bringing a thread back from the dead here...but looking for the same answers. I found NW wood just in time to take advantage of the going out of business sale, so that's no longer an option. I have used Sivara's on the east side of Tacoma but would love to find another option with perhaps a different selection?

Craig D Peltier
09-12-2013, 3:48 PM
Bringing a thread back from the dead here...but looking for the same answers. I found NW wood just in time to take advantage of the going out of business sale, so that's no longer an option. I have used Sivara's on the east side of Tacoma but would love to find another option with perhaps a different selection?
I am 45 miles N of Tacoma. I normally have some species of lumber for sale, all hardwood. I always have slabs of western maple kiln dried as well.
I dont know of anyone that is a small operation that has a bunch of different hardwoods with a mill. I have heard of silvara due to him setting up a 96 inch bs mill during the summer but not sure of his woods.
Right now I have sapele mahogany 4/4 bookmatched and 8/4 non bookmatched, plus a bunch of slabs. Just sold all my walnut but will be getting more.

Ira Matheny
09-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Call Bill Betts in Rochester [about 12 miles south of Olympia] He has a good selection of domestic woods, turning blanks, and does custom milling. Fair prices, good selection, nice guy.
You will be able to find him on Craigs List using 'Lumber Rochester'

Dave Cav
09-14-2013, 1:42 PM
I am 45 miles N of Tacoma. I normally have some species of lumber for sale, all hardwood. I always have slabs of western maple kiln dried as well.
I dont know of anyone that is a small operation that has a bunch of different hardwoods with a mill. I have heard of silvara due to him setting up a 96 inch bs mill during the summer but not sure of his woods.
Right now I have sapele mahogany 4/4 bookmatched and 8/4 non bookmatched, plus a bunch of slabs. Just sold all my walnut but will be getting more.

Craig, could you PM you contact info?

Thanks