PDA

View Full Version : Empty Bowls Auctions

Reed Gray
01-27-2010, 12:34 AM
The Empty Bowls Auctions are coming up for us in May. This does go on across the country, and is to benefit the local food banks. While this had been mostly the ceramic and pottery bowls, they have welcomed our wood bowls. Try to have a bowl turning demo, and have that be the challenge project for the next month. A worthy cause, and a chance to give back to the community.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
01-27-2010, 9:31 AM
Robo

That you are invovled with Empty Bowl does not surprise me. That being said it's a great project. I have some potter friends that are deeply involved.

Thomas Canfield
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Members of the East Texas Woodturners in Tyler have donated bowls for the local Empty Bowl fund raiser for the last 3 years (or more) and are doing so again this year. There have been a few select pieces that were auctioned during the dinner and the majority sold by silent auction. It is a good way to show support for the community and to show off turning skills. At first it was simple bowls, but the last couple of years other turnings are also being donated for the fund raiser. It does go for a good cause that is needed even more in these times.

Allen Neighbors
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I never heard of the empty bowl auction. It would be nice to have something like that here. Where do I find out about it? Google? Okay. I googled it, and now I know. Gonna check with some folks here in town, and see if they might want to get something started here.
Thanks for posting this, Reed!

Don Orr
01-29-2010, 2:55 PM
We have one here in Troy, NY also. My wife is a potter and her guild organizes the event. We have been donating bowls and volunteering every year so far.

Kind of sad that we need to do these kind of things though.:(