PDA

View Full Version : Latest carving - Mot Mots

Steve Vaughan
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Finally finished my Turquoise-Browed Mot Mots. The mot mot is native to Central America and is beautifully colored. First time working with glass eyes and the pewter legs/feet. Comments welcome, and, I realize the pics are not the greatest quality...gotta work on that part.

These are carved in basswood with acrylic paint and laquer over that. Bottom part of the base is turned walnut...wanted to keep that part simple and plain. The part the birds are standing on was wood I picked up on the beach on North Carolina's Outerbanks. Base is laquered also.

One of these will be given to a great friend, in his honor for having founded The Friends of Barnabas Foundation (you can google them) and now retired from FOBF...a group that does medical missions work exclusively in Honduras. I saw my first motmot while on a mission trip there with the founder Linwood Cook. (shhhh! it is a surprise!)

Thanks!

Chuck Nickerson
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
WOW! One of the reasons I don't carve realistic animals is that those of you who do leave no room for improvement.

Philip Allin
01-28-2010, 9:51 PM
Those are outstanding bird carvings, Steve!
My late wife and I made seven service trips to Central America, mostly house building and clean water projects. Wonderful experience.