PDA

View Full Version : Deep / Continental spindle gouge

Ron Bontz
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I have never used one of these. Is there some advantage to them or just a preference issue? Thanks:)

Gordon Seto
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Never heard of it.
Continental spindle gouges are shallow.

Reed Gray
01-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Old school spindle roughing gouge, with a rounded profile like this on the nose ), and a shallow flute. If you are familiar with Michael Mouse (George ?????) it is his tool of choice for bowls. It does give you a nice shear angle for finish cuts. I have one that is carbon steel, but I haven't used it much, and I should experiment some more with it. So many tools and so little time.........

robo hippy

Gordon Seto
01-27-2010, 7:30 AM
Reed,

Google "tool grinds Russ Fairfield". I think the last entry in the Tool Grinds Library is what you are talking about .
The confusion I have is this is a shallow flute gouge. Deeper flute of this shape would become a SRG. I am not comfortable talking about using it in side grain bowl turning.

Thom Sturgill
01-27-2010, 7:35 AM
The Windsor Design set that HF sells (the red handled set) contains two 'european' or sometimes called 'german' spindle gouges. I find that they are great for large coves and shaping larger beads. I often grab them instead of a skew as they don't catch as easily.

Ron Bontz
01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.:)