PDA

View Full Version : John Keeton Wood/Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 9:43 PM
Well here is my bowl out of the wood John Keeton sent to me. I must say it was a challenge but I think it came out pretty well. It had three large punky spots in it but soaked them with epoxy mixed with DNA. I let it dry the whole morning. Had worm holes which don't bother me, and left the pith in as it would have made it about 1 3/4" deep. It sure does add character. It is 10 1/2" X 4 1/2" deep. Walls are around 1/4" because I didn't think I wanted to take them down any thinner. Right now it has one coat of Antique Oil. Will probably go with 3 or 4 coats and buff.

John it won't make a good soup bowl but it will sure make a pretty popcorn bowl for me. That one isn't going anywhere.

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2010, 9:50 PM
Nice work Bernie! Good form - beautiful wood! Love the color variations! Was the wood super wet to turn? Figured it probably wasn't to bad if you already applied finish to it.

Brian Effinger
01-26-2010, 9:59 PM
Wow, very nice Bernie. And daring - from log to finished bowl in one day.

David E Keller
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Looks pretty spalted, so I'm guessing it wasn't too wet. Lots of character in the piece. I really like it... It has a very soft, comforable look to it.

Baxter Smith
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Lots of color and character Bernie! I was hoping I was going to see something from you today. Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks. It really wasn't wet per se but it was damp. I was just afraid with the pith and the punky spots to even try DNA drying. So I figured finish it and see what happens in the morning. I did soak it and I mean soaked it with AO for about 20 minutes. Just kept pouring it on and hoping that will stop any cracking. It soaked up almost 1/4 of a pint so maybe it will be ok.

Steve Mawson
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
That one turned out nice Bernie. Like the shape and the wood. Interesting piece with the color and decay in spots. You win the prize for the first piece turned from the many pieces sent out by John Keeton. Whats holding the rest of you guys back, letting Bernie get ahead of you just because he is retired--just kidding:D:D:):)

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks Steve. Hoping to do some more turning tomorrow. Have to get some lamps done for the Arts Gallery. They sold all mine.

Steve Mawson
01-26-2010, 11:36 PM
That's great Bernie, always good when your stock is depleted by sales.

John Keeton
01-27-2010, 6:43 AM
Bernie, I had hoped the wood was more solid!! Sorry for sending you such a challenge.:o

Notwithstanding the lousy wood, you really did a great job with this one. You probably have more in invested materials than this piece of wood was worth!!:eek:

Jerry Rhoads
01-27-2010, 6:48 AM
Beatifull colors, nice looking shape. great save Bernie

Jerry

Tony De Masi
01-27-2010, 7:59 AM
Good job there Bernie. I think I will pick up some more epoxy to have on hand just in case when I get to Johns blank.

Really like the colors of that bowl too.

Tony

Gene Howe
01-27-2010, 4:21 PM
Nice looking bowl.
Gene

Roland Martin
01-27-2010, 9:36 PM
Really nice colors & shape on this bowl. It'll make a great popcorn bowl.

Joshua Dinerstein
01-27-2010, 9:37 PM
That is excellent work Bernie. Well done!

Joshua