PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter Express Miter Sled

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-26-2010, 8:00 PM
I am thinking getting a miter sled & was wondering if any one has experience with the Incra Miter Express Miter Sled. With Rocklers 20% off I can get it for about $120. I have a Incra Miter 1000HD Miter Gauge that I really like, but I would like to be able to make some wider cross cuts & not have to worry about the work piece slipping. The miter express sled seems nice because I can use my existing miter gauge. I know that a lot of people have recommended building a miter sled, but I don't know if I have the time right now. I need to get more projects finished before I start another. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-26-2010, 8:38 PM
Bumping the post.

I'm also interested in the sled. I attempted to build a sled, and I can prove that a 90 degree angle DOES NOT EXIST. I can make an 89 degree cut EVERY time with my sled. It also took me a week to build and attempt to straighten. I should just have bought the Incra in the first place and save me a lot of frustration. At least the sled looks nice though. Maybe I'll hang it on the wall......

Van Huskey
01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Bumping the post.

I'm also interested in the sled. I attempted to build a sled, and I can prove that a 90 degree angle DOES NOT EXIST. I can make an 89 degree cut EVERY time with my sled. It also took me a week to build and attempt to straighten. I should just have bought the Incra in the first place and save me a lot of frustration. At least the sled looks nice though. Maybe I'll hang it on the wall......

We should build a sled together, I can build a 91 degree slad all day long, so I build one side and you build the other... perfect 90.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
We should build a sled together, I can build a 91 degree slad all day long, so I build one side and you build the other... perfect 90.

ROTFLMAO! That made my night!

James Henderson
01-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I received the Incra sled for xmas. I use it with the Miter 1000 SE and they work very well together. If you do purchase it, you'll not be disappointed.

Cary Falk
01-27-2010, 2:50 AM
I have th sled with a 1000SE. I had a home made sled that would do a 24" crosscut. I could never get it to cut a perfect 90. It was also very heavy. I realy like the incra and use it quite often. It is light, small and easy to use. I wish I would have purchased it years ago.

Robert McGowen
01-27-2010, 6:39 AM
I have an Incra 5000 sled. It is their top of the line sled. I hate it. It is heavy and hard to attach anything else to, such as a hold down right where you need it. I mostly turn wood and built a sled to cut segments with. I think that one of the keys is to use the Incra miter runner. They are available from Incra separately for about $28. Using the Incra runner and handle, you should be able to build a sled in a couple of hours. Here is the thread for the sled that I just built in the turning forum. You can use the same techniques to build and tune a sled for 90 degrees. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130945

John Gregory
01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a 1000SE with the sled and I really like it. I had a large commercial sled that I got really cheap from a local guy. It was great but it was very heavy and hard to find a place to store it.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2010, 1:16 PM
Other than the pretty red panels, I think you could construct one of those from the Incra Build It system starter kit. It's about $120 from Amazon with free shipping. You can use the system to fabricate all sorts of jigs that you don't need everyday. If you find one that is a constant user (like the sled would be) you can leave it assembled and buy replacement parts for future jigs.

Only drawback I see is that Rocker is the seller when you go through SMC. You have to pick other sellers from there to get the $120 price and it looks like it looses the SMC tag...

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-27-2010, 3:05 PM
I looked at that option, but I don't think that you get the track to let you use your miter gauge with the build it kit.

Steve Wurster
01-27-2010, 3:54 PM
I think you can buy the miter gauge holder thing separately from Incra under their parts section.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2010, 4:03 PM
Looked back and you're right. You could route a slot and attach a piece of their miter slot track, but it would only leave an 1/8" of material under it. Think that would make the sled pretty weak at that point.

Looks like you can buy the Miter express miter channel part and that it attaches like the Build-It components, but it's $68!

I looked at that option, but I don't think that you get the track to let you use your miter gauge with the build it kit.

Aaron Wingert
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I've had mine for a couple years and love it. My Incra miter gauge rarely gets removed from it.