PDA

View Full Version : Is This Ash?

James White
01-26-2010, 6:55 PM
I picked up some lumber today and I think it is ash. However it seems a bit strange to me. So I was wondering if there is a wood that looks close to ash. Some of these boards are quite heavy (dense) for ash. I am familiar with ash but mostly the creamy white. I have been fortunate to get logs that were just the rite size to only have the darker heart wood in the pith. So if this is ash its all the darker stuff. There were some boards in the pile that were definitely ash so the likelyhood is high that it is indeed ash. The guy did say he thought there was some locust in the pile and I do not know what that looks like. But I think these are too long for locust (up to 12'). Lots of photos.

James

James White
01-26-2010, 6:59 PM
Some more photos.

Mike Cruz
01-26-2010, 7:17 PM
That actually looks like locust from the end grain and crotch shots. Is it pretty heavy?

Cliff Holmes
01-26-2010, 7:28 PM
No, the grain looks too tight for ash. All the ash I recall looked a lot like red oak but whiter.

Dan Forman
01-26-2010, 8:22 PM
Hard to tell, the bottom two boards in the fifth picture look like they could be locust, but in the others, the color doesn't look right. Another possibility could be elm, which is darker than ash and locust, but still has a fairly coarse grain, similar to oak and ash. If I had to choose, I'd say elm.

Can't speak for honey locust, but black locust is a yellowish, almost greenish color. Black locust is VERY hard when dry.

Dan

Fred Belknap
01-26-2010, 10:32 PM
It looks like elm to me but as others have said it also looks a lot like locust. If it is locust it will be kinda heavy.

Virgil Johnson
01-27-2010, 2:38 AM
Black Ash?

James White
01-27-2010, 7:24 AM
Here is another photo of some of the bark. Or some kind layer that was under the bark? I am leaning away from the locust idea because there was some rot on a few of these boards. Ill try and surface some better pieces later today. Those were just cut offs that I took photos of.

Black Ash?

As far as I know Black Ash is a very rare species in this area.
So, stop teasing Vergil:)

James

Frank Drew
01-27-2010, 9:28 AM
James,

Some of what you got is pretty gnarly looking, so I hope the price was good.

Stephen Edwards
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't know what it is but, I don't think that it's Ash.

Glen Butler
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Could you take some more photos and get really close to the grain, with proper lighting and that will help.

scott spencer
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Hard to tell from those pics. Looks a little dark for ash to me. I see some resemblances to the red elm I've had. Anyone think there's any chance it could be chestnut?

More pics of the grain would definitely help....

John Keeton
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
I vote elm. In my experience, the bark on black locust won't last a season after being cut. It will fall off if exposed at all to the elements.

Hit it with a hammer - if the hammer dents - it is locust!!:eek::D

Don Orr
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
James,

To me the smaller boards in the first set of pics look a lot like the Black Locust we worked with building a ship the last couple of years. The last of the 4 pics in the 1st post that has some bark showing looks like Ash bark. You may have some of both.

Joe Kieve
01-27-2010, 1:47 PM
Could it be hickory? Does that grow in your area?

joe

Brian Tymchak
01-27-2010, 2:22 PM
I'm working with a lot of white ash right now. Some of it is discolored and darker brown, some almost creamy white. Seems pretty random through the boards and I wouldn't doubt that it varies from tree-to-tree depending on what it's growing in. The grain in the original pics looks consistent with what I've been working with. Maybe this has been exposed to some weathering. And the ash I've been working with is very dense and heavy. Really getting a workout. I found a set of pictures on the web that show ash grain and coloration at Hearnehardwoods.com, search for Ash under domestic woods. (I didn't paste in the direct link cause it might violate forum rules.) Some of the stuff I've been working with is even darker.

I've heard that Green Ash can be darker but I haven't been able to find a picture on the web.

Brian

george wilson
01-27-2010, 3:56 PM
Could also be pecan. In North Carolina furniture factories back in the 60's,at least,they used a lot of pecan. It was stained up to look like other woods. Seems surprising that they'd have so much pecan. I made a press out of pecan gotten from them,and it looks a lot like your wood,but so does hickory.

Stephen Edwards
01-27-2010, 4:25 PM
Could also be pecan. In North Carolina furniture factories back in the 60's,at least,they used a lot of pecan. It was stained up to look like other woods. Seems surprising that they'd have so much pecan. I made a press out of pecan gotten from them,and it looks a lot like your wood,but so does hickory.

Growing up in eastern NC back in the 50s-60s there were many large pecan groves throughout that part of the state. Unfortunately, hurricanes and development took their toll on many of those beautiful groves. Most are gone, now.

I remember loggers coming in and clearing entire gloves prior to a property being developed or, after a hurricane, harvesting the fallen trees. My dad would tell me,"There goes another pecan grove to the Highpoint", which at that time was the furniture capital of the USA.

10 years or so ago my brother lost one more than 36" in diameter that was in his yard, to a hurricane. But, to this day, he still has the largest pecan tree that I've ever seen. It's nearly 60" in diameter at the base of the trunk. I have no idea how old it is. It sure is a magnificent tree!

James White
01-27-2010, 7:07 PM
Thank you for your replies. After machining some more of this it is definitely not ash. This stuff is hard and heavy. I think those that suggested it is locust are correct. especialy after I found this link.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/locust.htm

Now if it is locust. How do I tell if it is black or honey? Or does that even matter. Do they both have the same rot resistance? Besides fence post and other outdoor use. What is locust good for?

These photos are after wetting with some alcohol. The end shots are with and without flash.

The bench is Ash.

Mike Cruz
01-27-2010, 7:20 PM
Plagues and firewood. :D Actually, I have thought of making some stuff out of it myself. I don't know what other have used it for, though. Would be nice to know...

James White
01-27-2010, 9:26 PM
Here is another cut off. I planed the end grain and got some better light on it. Still not as good a photo as I wished but it certainly is more revealing than the previous shots.

James

Mike Cruz
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
From the endgrain, I would still say Locust. Again, I have not used it for WWing, but do for firewood...a lot. That is how I recognize it. The planed picture is foreign to me because I have never seen it planed. Sorry...

george wilson
01-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Locust lasts 10 years longer in the ground than stone!!!

Dan Forman
01-28-2010, 3:04 AM
It's also a good motivator for the sharpening of hand tools. :)

It's very good for trellises and other yard and garden things. Not sure why more folks don't use it inside though, other than the fact that it's so hard.

Here is a pic of a black locust log I have.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020297.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020299.jpg

Dan

John Keeton
01-28-2010, 7:12 AM
Good comment, Dan!!

If you have been putting off sharpening your chainsaw, and just need that final "push" to get it done - cut a couple of chunks of locust, if you can get through the second one!! You will have no choice then - either sharpen the saw, or quit using it!

I tried to do a bowl from a piece of seasoned locust - won't be doing that again!!

Brian Tymchak
01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
From the endgrain, I would still say Locust.

Yep. I stand corrected. It's locust. Blowing up that end grain photo and comparing to the end grain closeups of both locust and ash from the hobbithouse library convinced me. That's a nice library they have there. Bookmarked that one.

Attached is a screen shot of all 3 photos on one screen. Made it easy to decide.

Brian

scott spencer
01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Whatever it is, I sure like the grain!

James White
01-29-2010, 8:12 AM
Dan,

Thank you for putting that together. Why didn't I think of that. So far from what I can find on the net I think this is black locust.

John,

Although I didn't want to I had to sharpen my low angle to plane the end grain and It still only barley shaved it. I need to take my time and sharpen correctly.

So I guess no one has used this material for anything other than fire wood or fence posts? It makes some realy good fire wood. I put in only 3/4 of a load in the other night and it kept the house at 75 threw 7am. It normally takes a full load with the temps in the low 20s we had that night. It's a shame no one uses this stuff. It is actually quite nice as far as color and grain pattern .

James