PDA

View Full Version : The Maple Trio

Michael Jasani
01-26-2010, 6:11 PM
Completed the third and final Maple Hollow Form last weekend. Pictures of earlier two were posted last week and are now also posted in my album.

As usual C & C is most welcome :)

-------------
Mike Jasani

"They say money does not grow on trees, but I believe it takes a woodturner to reveal the hidden treasures in a tree"

John Keeton
01-26-2010, 6:19 PM
Michael, this wood is really something!! While all of them are nice, I would have to say that I like the first two best, my favorite being the one with the elevated opening.

Baxter Smith
01-26-2010, 6:19 PM
Good job, very pretty! The one with the neck? back left is my favorite.

Wally Dickerman
01-26-2010, 7:28 PM
Mike, this form is a very popular one. You have done a good job with all three pieces. However, IMO the middle piece is the only one that you have achieved a good continuous curve from rim to bottom. The other two tend to flatten out in the middle section.

There a couple of ways to check out good continuous curves while turning. Just feeling the curve with your hand tells you a lot. Removing the piece from the lathe and viewing it upside down is an excellent way to check out a form. If it doesn't look right both ways, it probably needs some refining.

In my own turning, I use both methods regularly.

Wally

Mike Minto
01-26-2010, 7:58 PM
Michael, first let me say that all three pieces, to me, are very well done. Beautiful wood well turned and finished. Regarding critique, I feel the one in the 'center front' has the best proportions; the flatter 'middle' of the other two is not as aesthetically appealing. The lip on the left most form is very nice - thanks for showing us your work.

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2010, 9:16 PM
Sure is some pretty wood!

Form is something that develops with time - and lots of turning! Wally pointed out what you should be looking for - a continuous curve from the opening to the foot.

These are very nice. Looking forward to seeing your next hollow form! Have fun!

David E Keller
01-26-2010, 9:20 PM
Great wood and finish on all three, but I agree with the others about the one in the front being the best example of a continuous curve. All three are better than anything I've done.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 9:34 PM
Wow that wood is beautiful. Really nice HF's and I to like the elevated lip.

Roland Martin
01-26-2010, 9:38 PM
Great work on these hollow forms. The maple is absolutely incredible.

Michael Jasani
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful opinions and suggestions. Great feedback regarding forms. Much thanks.

Curt Fuller
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
All three are really nice hollowforms with beautiful wood. Although I agree with Wally's comments on the form there's also something in the last form that catches my eye. I can't really put my finger on it, I just like the look of it. The set of three look great together.

Michael Jasani
01-28-2010, 3:41 PM
Thanks Curt. The wood was purchased on ebay in early 2007 at a very reasonable price and had been drying since. After turning I was myself amazed at the woods beauty!